Community discussions

MikroTik App

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

DNS in NTP client?

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:56 pm

would be nice to be able to use DNS names in NTP client configuration, just like recently become possible to use DNS in VPN client connections, mostly because its HOW they load-balanced and maintained(&fail-over things).

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

AW: DNS in NTP client?

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:16 pm

Yes please.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DNS in NTP client?

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:30 pm

Already possible for about a year now:
/system ntp client
set server-dns-names="server1.example.net,server2.example.net"
It's just missing from WinBox.

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:54 am

It still ends up as Ips in the configuration.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:22 am

no, its only discover present-time static IP adress and bind it isntead of using NTP DNS for operation, which spoil NTP pools load balancing and result in time desync issues, when server, its connecting to - overloaded or under maintenance.
another disadvantage of ROS NTP client - only 2 servers supported per interface :(
should be 4-5 atleast limit, IMHO.

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:20 pm

Already possible for about a year now:
/system ntp client
set server-dns-names="server1.example.net,server2.example.net"
It's just missing from WinBox.
That property doesn't exist on my RB850 with 6.32.3. I only have primary-ntp and secondary-ntp.
/system ntp client> set 
Change properties of one or several items.

enabled -- Enable/disable NTP client
mode -- NTP server discovery method
primary-ntp -- The name of the primary NTP server
secondary-ntp -- The name of the secondary NTP server

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:26 am

I didn't make it up, see wiki. Although it's only listed in default SNTP client settings and not for NTP client from ntp package. I guess it's possible that you have it installed and it may not be supported there.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:23 am

i see. so in result of absence of SNTP configuration interface(instead of terminal/ssh-only)its viewed as "non-existent" and thats major reason why many people i know(and myself too)keep using NTP client/package, instead.
i think code from ntp client and sntp had to be merged in system package aswell as dhcp package code merged into system too.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:49 am

SNTP client is in the system package. Since both others are optional, why would you want that? So that you can not disable or uninstall them? Not everybody wants the NTP or DHCP package on a specific router.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 am

SNTP client is in the system package. Since both others are optional, why would you want that? So that you can not disable or uninstall them? Not everybody wants the NTP or DHCP package on a specific router.
its simply because you failed to read my post in first place, where i explained thats unmanageability by both webfig and winbox - make it virtually unusable for newbies and soho users.
and allso thats simply illogical. why not make half of other ROS features absent in Winbox like SNTP ?
also thats not a good/meaingful exmaple
"not everyone" wanted SMB/CIFS file sharing, "packing", "socks", "TFTP", netflow and most importantly Web Cache, it it IS part of System package anyway, so i think /this/logic didn't apply here, sadly.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:26 pm

I read your post carefully.

First of all, there is no absence of SNTP configuration interface by default in webfig and winbox: go to System and you will find the SNTP client there (and if you don't you may just have found a bug in that ROS version).

Second, not everybody may use the NTP client package instead. e.g. I use a broadcast time server in my network. NTP client doesn't use broadcast, it only accepts unicast setups, so I need SNTP client, not NTP client, and those are mutual exclusive.

Third, it makes no difference if you would have them in the system package or as separate packages in the standard firmware image file. I don't think a "soho user" or a "newbie" will choose to install packages by hand, one at a time, or randomy try to disable them. If you use the complete npk package, sntp client will be there in the system package and available in winbox and webfig, and dhcp server will be there also, as an independent entry, unless you decide to disable it intentionally.
But placing all of them in the system package will not allow one who wishes to disable or remove them to do so.

So what you ask is actually to prevent someone crashing his system by doing something without knowing what he does, to be detrimental to more advanced users which do such things and use their systems at a more advanced level.

Please allow me not to agree with such a proposal.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:30 pm

The part missing from WinBox/WebFig was Server DNS Names option for default SNTP client from system package. Other options were present, just this one was missing. The good news is that it's not missing anymore. I'm not sure when it was added, all I can say that 6.23 didn't yet have it and 6.33.1 does (I don't have any version between those installed anywhere).

And for the completeness sake, I tried ntp package in latest CHR (6.34rc16) and if you install that, you're out of luck, there's no DNS support in NTP client from there (in both WinBox and CLI).

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:06 am

So if I want full ntp, I'm out of luck?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:16 pm

Currently yes, it does not offer an option to use hostnames anywhere. But I don't think it's intentional limitation. Many places in RouterOS didn't support hostnames in the past and MikroTik has been slowly adding it. They probably just didn't get to this one yet. You may try to ask their support nicely to put it on TODO list, if they don't have it there already.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:31 pm

and similarly to NTP - other servrices tend to be loaded/scaled (client-side)over dns management/usage and adding DNS suuport to other features - make sense too.
but so far i was more dreamed bout adh-hoc routing support and NDP/ARP secure alternatives.