MikroTik App

nemke
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

The Best way to "export" all settings from rb2011 to rb3011

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Hello
I have RB2011UiAS-IN and he is settup like PTPP server, PPPoE CAPSMAN and many thinng more.
I plan to buy new model RB3011 becouse of higher performance, BUT i like to have SAME settings on new RB like on old.

What is the best way and secure for this, not to lost some of the settings.
Is it export or backup ?

Thank you

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: The Best way to "export" all settings from rb2011 to rb3011

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:13 pm

export + import via text rsc file.
Even if you do not want to import all settings then you can paste them one by one into terminal window with Ctrl+C + Paste

doridian

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:44 pm

export + import via text rsc file.
Even if you do not want to import all settings then you can paste them one by one into terminal window with Ctrl+C + Paste
When I tried this, the import errored (for example, I have a bridge br-lan, instead of default bridge-local, so the import errored in that phase, telling me my ports were already enslaved to bridge-local so they can't be added to br-lan).

I then used backup+restore. That was unable to import certificates' private keys (I manually did that after, luckily not that many keys). It also failed to import wifi config so I manually /interface wireless export and imported that to the other router. After that config was entirely fine (I moved from hAP to RB951Ui-2HnD, which are very similar. I do not know if the difference on the second switch also being Gigabit messes this up, or the fact RB3011 is ARM).

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:33 pm

You should reaname all interfaces to new "old" names, create all nonexistient ones. All command which do not refer to particular name are "safe" to import. Mikrotik export command has bad habit to emit configuration "unordered" which means that commands create "things" after their first usage.
That is why I have written "import manually one line by one". Remeber that MACs are different and that defferent versions of ROS could have different default values for some commands. You should update both devices to the same ROS version and then try to use /export compact command.

skuykend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Using Winbox copy your export (check for mac addresses in export file!) to the 3011, go to system reset, and mark the option to 'No Default Configuration' and then select the script in 'Run after Reset'.

If the script has errors/incompatibilities it will stop at the error line and not continue on.