Community discussions

MikroTik App

emperorsum
just joined
Topic Author

Feature Request: Support for GEPON (IEEE 802.3ah-2004) PtMP over Fiber optic

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:11 am

GEPON is coming up fast. very fast. It is the ethernet based solution to Passive Optical networks. ANd because it is ethernet based, it can be integrated very easily.

SFP modules are widely available for $100 or so. CPEs (or ONUs) are also widely available from $30 onwards.

But current OLTs are way to expensive and most have bad/lacking interfaces.

Please consider supporting 802.3ah-2004 GEPON tech in future RouterBoards.

This would be a great news in the GEPON provider community if we had RouterBoards capable of supporting OLT SFP modules.

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:14 pm

http://routerboard.com/SFPONU

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature Request: Support for GEPON (IEEE 802.3ah-2004) PtMP over Fiber optic

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Most GEPON is designed to be a large scale deployment, and usually the head-end OLT device is a layer2 only device designed to aggregate everything onto a backhaul, where a router at a central facility handles the IP layer. That's why you don't have lots of awesome routing features in OLT units, such as the Adtran 5000....
http://routerboard.com/SFPONU

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Did you even read the post, cdemers? OP knows about this stuff - he wants the OLT side. Honestly, I'd think a sfp form factor OLT would be cool, but almost certainly a "you get what you pay for" thing. It'd be fine to roll out in certain small scenarios that don't need to scale, ever... but I wouldn't build an ISP on cheap stuff. That invariably leads to unhappy customers and an unsustainable business model that will plateau early and never be able to break through to the next level.

emperorsum
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Feature Request: Support for GEPON (IEEE 802.3ah-2004) PtMP over Fiber optic

Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:55 pm

That SFP Module isnt gonna be very useful for me.

GPON and GEPON arent the same thing. GPON is ITU technology. While GEPON is IEEE 802.3 Ethernet technology.

Most GEPON manufacturers are chinese companies making big money from sale of expensive OLT. I think OLTs are overpriced. As it is more or less just a PtMP version of a layer 2 fiber media converter.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:01 pm

I have a request

I need the ability to support SIP.

I really could use a mini-PCI card that could be inserted into a Mikrotik. Then with the Mikrotik GPON module, I could use Mikrotiks almost only for customer client devices which could then support the following:

- Bridge mode
- Residential Gateway
- Router
- Tunnel, VPN firewall

- and also support the following:
Using a mini-PCI sip card, I could also support normal customer telephones (RJ-11 POTS telephone jacks). It could even act like an ATA.

- and also support the following:
Using a second mini-pci card or on-board Wi-Fi card, then I can support hard-wired Ethernet, Wi-Fi and telephone services.

- - - Also - - -
It might also be nice to be able to support battery-monitoring. Where when the AC utility power goes out, we can drop into a low power battery conservation mode to keep the telephone services operational for another 3 days.

O - Mikrotik is soooo close to having a great GPON ONT. It just needs some minor little things to be the best ONT out there.

North Idaho Tom Jones

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:44 am

you missed one of reasons why its "overpriced" and why both GPON and GEPON implementation had unusually biger hardware overhead - encryption.
because shared medium - its employ encryption(but ironically only downstream, so you passwords and personal data - exposes to neighboorhood and malicious criminals. upstream encryption is optional).
thats why and because rather small, weak processor in most mikrotik devices its not convinient to implement and thats why its insecure to deploy and use PON network "in general'.