MikroTik App

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Intra-version kernel updates for RouterOS

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:11 pm

Hello!

Version 6.x is quickly approaching a satisfactory level of maturity, but it is also getting quite old, kernel-wise. This means that the last 3 years' worth (6.0 came out May 2013) of device drivers, features and performance improvements of the fast-evolving linux kernel are absent from our favourite routing OS.

I wonder how difficult it could be to offer a kernel update for 6.x, before (or after) the 7.x comes out. I know that this has the potential to break many things, but I think it would be worth the try, even more so considering the time it will take for 7.x to get reasonably stable from the time of initial release.

It could even be offered in the form of an alternative "system" package (I suppose the kernel resides in the system package, right?), like what has been done with the major wireless updates (-fp, -cm2, -rep).

Mikrotik, can we have any hopes for this?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Intra-version kernel updates for RouterOS

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:55 pm

time it will take for 7.x to get reasonably stable
much of this would come from the kernel upgrade and resulting compatibility issues ;)

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Intra-version kernel updates for RouterOS

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:27 pm

time it will take for 7.x to get reasonably stable
much of this would come from the kernel upgrade and resulting compatibility issues ;)
Ok... Message received. Had to ask. :)