Community discussions

MikroTik App

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Feature request: Band G/N (not B/G/N) (( This will avoid 802 B Protect mode )))

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:10 pm

Feature request: Band G/N (not B/G/N) (( This will avoid 802 B Protect mode )))

B
G only
B/G
N only
B/G/N
G/N -- this selection does not exist and is needed

The problem is and band that allows for B rate connections is also introducing a problem with "802.11 B Protect mode".

If you have a B/G/N or B/G network, it only takes one connection in the B speed range to auto enable "802.11 B Protect mode". When a wireless network is in "802.aa B Protect mode" all wireless throughput to other perfect wireless clients takes dive into the slow lane.

Example
An AP has 2 clients connected
Client 1 has a 54 meg G connection
Client 2 has a 11 meg or slower B connection

Client 1 now has a throughput close to 12 meg because of B Protect mode.
The same thing is happening when using B/G/N. Perfect G and N connected clients have limited throughput when a B connection is made - thus forcing B Protect mode.

I would like to be able to use a G/N and/or G/N/AC mode which excludes B connection and thus avoids B Protect mode.

North Idaho Tom Jones

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:11 pm

I can imagine that it could be useful for me too.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature request: Band G/N (not B/G/N) (( This will avoid 802 B Protect mode )))

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:32 pm

+ 1

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Feature request: Band G/N (not B/G/N) (( This will avoid 802 B Protect mode )))

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:02 pm

I had a thought:...

would a mode of "G/N" be forced to use a possible "G Protect mode" ???

... and ...

would a mode of "G/N/AC" be forced to use a possible "G Protect mode" ??? (or G and N Protect modes)

.. and ...

would a mode of "A/N/AC" be forced to use a possible "A Protect mode" ??? (or A and N Protect modes)

.. and ...

would a mode supporting any two or more rates B,G,N,AC -or- A,N, AC use some type of "Protect mode" ???

Somehow all devices connected at the different modes/rates need to all hear and listen to the AP when the AP is sending something like a multicast packet to all connected clients at the same time.

EDIT: forget the question - I did some google searches and discovered the protect mode really only applies when there is a B rate supported in the mixed mode.

North Idaho Tom Jones

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:50 am

just disable 802.11b data-rates maybe that can work

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:53 am

I thought of and tried it. I still see some B rate connection stuff

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:21 am

I thought of and tried it. I still see some B rate connection stuff

very rare, i have success to disable even 802.11G data-rates to use only 802.11N data-rates, verified on connection table

using wireless fp and cm2 packages

tested on rb951-2n, rb951Ui, rb951G, and hap lite

keep in mind you control access-point TX data-rates, clients can transmit on another data-rates and we cannot control them.

some client devices obey the suggested AP data-rates and transmit in that set of data-rates only but is up to the client device to take that kind of behavior or not.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:50 pm

chechito

Thank you for your post

re: keep in mind you control access-point TX data-rates, clients can transmit on another data-rates and we cannot control them.

I did not know this. Now many other things I have seen on connect rates are starting to be clearer to understand.

Am I correct in saying the wireless clients are supposed to learn the "Basic Rates" and the "Supported Rates" from the AP use only those rates ?

--- And if the client supports local configurations for "Basic Rates" and the "Supported Rates" then only use the rates that match both client & AP ?

Because I have seen many APs have the "Basic Rates" and the "Supported Rates" configured - but still show some clients connected at some other rates not configured/selected in the AP.

North Idaho Tom Jones