Community discussions

MikroTik App

dashx
just joined
Topic Author

Shutdown right after ROS v6.35 installation. (demo version expired, please reinstall router.)

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi,

there seems to be some kind of bug with License check in v6.35, which causes our router Hardware to shutdown right after the installation of RouterOS (we're using our own hardware together with ROS Licenses that we buy for it).

Before the shutdown, you can see RouterOS starting, then displaying 2 messages:
Demo version is expired. Please reinstall Router. (or something along those lines)

Soft used:
Netinstall v6.35
routeros-x86-6.35.npk

With ROS v6.34.4 and older, there are no issues during/after the installation process.
Can you guys check into it? For the time being we will be using v6.34.4.
Thanks!

olegario
just joined

Re: Shutdown right after ROS v6.35 installation. (demo version expired, please reinstall router.)

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:55 am

the same thing happens to me when installing a new pc

hopefully it fixed in the next version.

dashx
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Shutdown right after ROS v6.35 installation. (demo version expired, please reinstall router.)

Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:06 pm

I contacted Mikrotik-Support via email. The answer was:
"Thank you for reporting this. We are aware of this issue and will work on it soon."

bnordman
just joined

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Has this issue been resolved? I've tried a fresh install of ROS 6.36.4 on an x86 PC from both the ISO image and netinstall. In both cases, the router immediately reports "Demo License Expired. Please reinstall router" after the first reboot and then shuts down. I can make this happen literally seconds after a new install is completed (nowhere close to 24 hours).

In another thread, someone suggested installing 6.34.4. I did this via netinstall to a drive to which I had previously installed 6.36.4 both with and without keeping settings. I can install the license key, but routeros reports "A new key has been installed but requires a reboot to take effect, the router will reboot in a day." A manual reboot produces the same message. After a day, 6.34.4 dies with the same "Demo License Expired. Please reinstall router" followed by a power off.

This is all just testing to get my feet wet with RouterOS. I was able to get the router up and passing traffic, but it's difficult to do much if I can't keep a system up for any time.

I'm going to try another drive with 6.34.4 and a different key. I've just been using a free level 1 demo key at this point. Any ideas would be appreciated.

bnordman
just joined

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:25 am

Just an update.

I installed 6.34.4 to a different drive which generated a new software id. I requested another demo key and pasted it via SSH as I've done previously. The router accepts the new key and reboots. After the reboot and upon login the router still displays "A new key has been installed but a reboot is required for it to take effect. The router will reboot in a day." The router is functional at this point, but never clears the above message regardless of the number of reboots.

The final kicker is that after 24 of running, the router powers off. Powering it back on results in the message "Demo key expired, please reinstall the router" followed by immediate power off. Surely not every compile of RouterOS x86 has had this major of a bug since 6.34.4...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

jtkcsos
just joined

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Add me to the list of people with this issue. I've tried 6.34, 6.38 and 6.39rc7, all with the same result.

jwatson
just joined

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:06 pm

I'm getting this same issue on a VM we used to serve The Dude. We have several years of work invested in this tool
and used it every day. I'd really love to get it back going. We can't find any event that caused it to enter this state. It
has been working fine for years. I have purchased a new license for it, but can't get into it to apply it. Any help would
be awesome.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:42 pm

I'm getting this same issue on a VM we used to serve The Dude. We have several years of work invested in this tool
and used it every day. I'd really love to get it back going. We can't find any event that caused it to enter this state. It
has been working fine for years. I have purchased a new license for it, but can't get into it to apply it. Any help would
be awesome.
Contact directly with Mikrotik support.

Regards.