Community discussions

MikroTik App

war3boy
just joined
Topic Author

Trunk over Bonding

Sat May 21, 2016 4:17 pm

I have a some doubt on my configuration.
I'm trying to do a LACP between Mikrotik RB2011 <-> Ubnt EdgeSW

2 Vlans that need to trunk over the LACP/Bonding.
Below is my diagram of the setup.
Diagram.png
The vlan 722 is the transit between the 2 devices.
And the Vlan 50 is my management vlan that cross devices while L3 is terminate at the RB2011.

Can i know how the configuration should make at the RB2011?

Currently , i'm putting Vlan 722, 50 over the Bonding to make it work.
However, with this setup , i cant have the Vlan 50 to be used at the RB2011 under interface Gi0/1..

Please feel free to comment.
Thanks and appreciate any comment that share.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mpreissner

Re: Trunk over Bonding

Mon May 23, 2016 8:33 pm

To begin, MT does not support LACP in any way. They only support static link aggregation.

The RB2011 has two switch chips in it...a 5 port 100mbps switch and a 5 port 1gbps switch. The 1gbps switch is connected to the CPU via a single 1gbps link, and the 100 mbps switch is directly attached to the CPU (according to the block diagram). This platform supports a maximum of 1.5gbps total routing throughput. If your goal is to get 2gbps of throughput through link aggregation, forget it...never gonna happen. If you're simply looking for redundancy, then you can do that, but again, not via LACP because its not supported.

war3boy
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2016 2:01 pm

I'm aware that the LACP it is only 1.5Gbps , but i'm fine for that.

Just how to make Access vlan 50 to one of the port at Mikrotik rb2011 while having the trunk over to EdgeSw.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 24, 2016 3:08 pm

MikroTik Bonding supports 802.3ad which is practically LACP.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation
IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation (802.3ad)(LACP)
Creates aggregation groups that share the same speed and duplex settings. Utilizes all slave network interfaces in the active aggregator group according to the 802.3ad specification.
war3boy, you need to create a bridge and add the vlan50 interface and the Gi0/1 interface to it.
I am not sure about the performance of it, but it should work.

war3boy
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2016 4:15 am

Hi,

i tried that and it didn't work...

Jetrider

Mon May 30, 2016 12:20 pm

To begin, MT does not support LACP in any way.
WTF did I just read ?

quote from MT Bonding modes manual:
802.3ad
802.3ad mode is an IEEE standard also called LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol). It includes automatic configuration of the aggregates, so minimal configuration of the switch is needed. This standard also mandates that frames will be delivered in order and connections should not see mis-ordering of packets. The standard also mandates that all devices in the aggregate must operate at the same speed and duplex mode and works only with MII link monitoring.

mpreissner

Tue May 31, 2016 10:10 pm

WTF did I just read ?

quote from MT Bonding modes manual:
802.3ad
802.3ad mode is an IEEE standard also called LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol). It includes automatic configuration of the aggregates, so minimal configuration of the switch is needed. This standard also mandates that frames will be delivered in order and connections should not see mis-ordering of packets. The standard also mandates that all devices in the aggregate must operate at the same speed and duplex mode and works only with MII link monitoring.
Sorry, what I meant to say is that MT does not support LACP in hardware on their CRS products where it really needs to be implemented. Yes, they support it in software, but without a powerful enough CPU and multiple ports directly connected to the CPU, certain of their products are not good choices for this.

So, effectively, if you're looking to aggregate throughput to an endpoint using LACP, you'll have to waste two or more direct-to-CPU ports on one of their nicer routers instead of using a switch. Their CRS supports static link aggregation through the "Trunk" functions, but this is not LACP. Additionally, the CRS only has a 1 gbps pipe from the CPU to the entire switch chip, so you'll never see more than 1 gbps out of any bonded ports (using Bonding). If you use Trunking, you're stuck with the drawbacks of static link aggregation, which can cause lots of problems if one of the member links fails.

Since we're talking about an RB2011 here, you could bond the five 100mbps ports and achieve up to 500 mbps to an endpoint. You might even be able to bond one of the gigabit ports to the five 100mbps ports, resulting in a total aggregation of 1.5 Gbps, but bonding asymmetric links is a bad idea, assuming it even works. You could bond two of the gigabit ports, but you're not going to increase throughput, you're only going to add link redundancy because all five gigabit ports share a single 1 gbps link to the CPU...making the RB2011 the wrong platform if you need Bonding of gigabit links.