Community discussions

MikroTik App

Mikr0T1K
just joined
Topic Author

Full Configuration Backup

Sun May 29, 2016 6:14 pm

I have several Mikrotik Devices, mostly RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN. However I tend to have multiple of each devices (for redundancy) and would like to have the ability to export a configuration file with ALL settings so I can upload it to the redundant one. This way I can have a up to date backup in case of failure.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 30, 2016 2:43 pm

Export and import commands are your friends.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re:

Mon May 30, 2016 3:00 pm

While they are extremely useful, first they don't export everything (ie, users, certificates, private keys) and second they don't always export stuff in the right order causing errors during import.

I had this issue just yesterday.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Full Configuration Backup

Mon May 30, 2016 11:54 pm

You are right. there is other way - to do backup, but it most probably will not work correctly on the second device and will change the mac addresses for sure. So, at the end, there is no the way how to make whole backup that would reliably work on another device. Unfortunatelly.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2016 1:45 am

Kingdom for new parameter for export command, which would make it export everything!

Backups are not practical, because they are not readable. I have automatic backup for all routers, which downloads configs every day and saves them in svn repository. And it's great, because I can clearly see what and when changed. But it's not so great that a lot of important info is missing. I could save backups, but try to easily find a difference between them...

Mikr0T1K
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:34 am

I think its really needed though, just as you can for Cisco router/switches. I need ALL settings backed up, basically a clone of one router to the next.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Re:

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:55 pm

While they are extremely useful, first they don't export everything (ie, users, certificates, private keys) and second they don't always export stuff in the right order causing errors during import.

I had this issue just yesterday.
Did you reported problem to support? What exactly was in wrong order?