MikroTik App

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

GPON support

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:29 am

Hello Mikrotik staff,
it could be very useful and interesting to have support in Mikrotik routerboards for the entire GPON chain (OLT/ONT).
The ONT side is already available, could it be possible to imagine also the OLT side in future releases?
Thank you,
Rgds

rufee

Re: GPON support

Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:12 pm

The ONT that Mikrotik has now is just for the client side. This would probably warrant the creation of new OLT hardware because i don't think you can fit the whole PON provider side into a SFP module just yet, everybody would be deploying passive networks if it were that simple.

In short, you would need new hardware.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:13 pm

well ironically using "fitting into SFP module" ONU is suggested approach for, which isn't many brands/models, yet.
cosidering bogus/substandard code and locked-down and purposely proprietary deviations from standard in almost all vendor/brand products - it would be pain in ... to support that mess "natively".
plus overhead from encryption (not easy burden for not really much powerful CPU's in most MT devices(except CCR's perhaps) would really Break then apart actually.
so yep, if you need to go PON/EPON road - MT isn't thing you /only/ need, perhaps.

KillerOPS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:50 am

I guess people are appreciating the support and update cycles they are getting from mikrotik and would like something like that for PON networks, which start to be everywhere nowadays.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:15 am

I guess people are appreciating the support and update cycles they are getting from mikrotik and would like something like that for PON networks, which start to be everywhere nowadays.
well people would anything from anyone, perhaps.
but with limited manpower, time, money - managers&engineers always forced to pick priorities among options/milestones.
as for "PON everywhere" its already sounds like joke. i just saw company, shifting from EPON to "active optic" and one ISP that ditched their GPON endpoints in favor of g.fast copper DSL links(cheaper, faster)so that would be quite unlikely if at all.
outside countries, focused on bulk surveliance on their population - there isn't much interests in PON solutions, because technical, economical inferiority of(especially in long-term), management and lifetime nightmare and vendor lock-downs.
i guess MT consdier adopting GPON/GEPON support, but only if they had opportunity and in unpredictible distance/timeline and not very likely, just like xDSL stop being mainstream(eg interesting)part of market.