Features supported by FTP server (v6.35.4):

1 Can set file last modification date and time: No
2 Can set file creation date and time: No
3 Supports file hashing: No
4 Supports Unicode (UTF8): No

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: FTP, set file last modification date and time, set file creation date and time

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:27 am

MikroTik RouterOS implements a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) server feature. It is intended to be used for software packages uploading, configuration script exporting and importing procedures, as well as for storing HotSpot servlet pages.
You need to start by persuading MikroTik to change their view of intended use, because none of your features is needed for current one. Convince them that FTP server might be useful e.g. for home users who would plug an USB disk in router. First with even more basic stuff like different accounts having different home directories, permisions other than global ones, etc... And after that it's time for what you want.

smilem
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: FTP, set file last modification date and time, set file creation date and time

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:03 pm

Every normal router for the price of what mikrotik costs has USB port and FTP features. FTP is for just that FTP. Given the amount of routers with dual cores I would assume nobody would buy the crap that router can't handle simple FTP storage for home user or small office. 

I don't know what is microtik excuse for poor documentation, and poor support. Is it greed to make more money by making "money making" learning courses, or incompetence.

I 'm paying customer I bought mikrotk hardware yet I have to communicate with them through the forum. Seems communism is still flourishing in Latvia. Normal company would have made normal router interface and wiki to go along with it. But all that's seem off topic.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:34 pm

I agree that MikroTik could do more to make home or small office users happy. It's not so long since they started to target these groups and IMHO they're still not very dedicated to it. So yeah, there is room for improvement.

But it's not like they're promising something they don't give you in the end. Before you buy anything, you can check wiki where you can see everything RouterOS can do. You can even download complete version of RouterOS to play with in virtual machine for free (except for wireless interfaces). If you feel cheated or anything like that, I don't think it's deserved.

And btw, this is user forum. If you want to communicate with MikroTik, you should write to their support.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:04 pm

I think a company like MikroTik should define (at least internally) a market for which they want to
optimize their product, and stick to that unless trends indicate that this market is going to shrink or
not otherwise will yield profit.
There are so many enhancement requests on this forum, and they all pull in a different direction.
When MikroTik choose to make a router for the (semi-)professional, it may be that they don't want
to or cannot include features as found in end-user products from other manufacturers.
The (semi-)professional is more likely to use tools that fit the job.  They don't plug a USB stick or disk
in their router then call it a NAS.  They buy a purposely built NAS.
And just like they are not going to whine to their NAS manufacturer that it should support BGP routing on
the network (although NAS boxes today can do almost anything a general-purpose Linux box can do),
they are not going to ask their router manufacturer about NAS features.

Of course there is a market of people who DO ask and expect such things.  But each manufacturer
should decide if they want to work for that market.

smilem
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:17 am

Including features in my post doesn't demand views to change or market change within a company.
If you decide to include FTP, SMB in your products then they need to work.

The only way to sync files for mikrotik is to use FTP not SAMBA, and use Syncovery to upload only changed files with zipping each file because you have to set "ignore file timestamps"
so that it would work. Versioning is also possible.

Nobody should go to these lenghts to make enterprise grade products that mikrotik positions itself work with simple FTP. At least not for RB493G

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:41 am

I may be wrong, but I think that FTP server in RouterOS is mostly just leftover from the past. It has been there since the first version I remember. It works (you can download and upload files), so it just keeps being there and that's it.

I consider myself fan of FTP (generally, don't care much about server in RouterOS). It's simple, it works, it can even be secure if you add SSL, etc. But lets face it, FTP is pretty much dead and no one cares about its future. To illustrate, lets take your four requested features:

1) Can set file last modification date and time: Standard FTP can't do it. Some implementations incorrectly extended MDTM command to do it, but it's wrong. Proper command (MFMT) is only specified in draft, which expired in 2009.
2) Can set file creation date and time: Standard FTP can't do it. The command for it (MFCT) is only in same draft as in 1).
3) Supports file hashing: Standard FTP can't do it. Several servers implemented XCRC command, for which there's no formal standard whatsoever. Few continued with XMD5, XSHA1, etc. Again, completely non-standard stuff. Attempt to have standardized command (HASH) ended in 2013 with another expired draft.
4) Supports Unicode (UTF8): Something at least, there's actual RFC for UTF-8 support. Too bad it specifies it in backward-incompatible way and attempt to fix it is just another draft (expired in 2002). But servers often implement a variant of it anyway.

So that's how it is with FTP.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:36 am

Nobody should go to these lenghts to make enterprise grade products that mikrotik positions itself work with simple FTP.
I don't think MikroTik have ever positioned their routers as an enterprise grade FTP or SMB server!
These protocols are only there so you can move configuration files and software updates around.
When you want an enterprise grade FTP server at the budget your enterprise seems to have, get a Raspberry Pi!