Community discussions

MikroTik App

MrLINK
just joined
Topic Author

Hotspot with external Webserver - Too many redirect

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi,

I'm using several routerboard hotspots with RouterOS 6.30.4 and older, Within the login.html I'm redirecting to an extneral server to authenticate the users. In some cases, an unauthorized user gets stuck, after a website has been opened, because of to many redirects:

https://hotspot.example.com/login?dst=h ... 252525252F

It seems the routerboard appends the original URL over and over again. It seems the issue ocurrs onyl if the original URL secured (HTTP). The routerboard's hotspot listens on port 443 with a valid certificate. I checked the webserver for incoming packets, but in case of a redirect error no packets are reveived. It seems the whole HTTP traffic stays on the routerboard.

I would be very appreciated for any help.

czolo

Re: Hotspot with external Webserver - Too many redirect

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Check all external links in your page (that on external srv) and add all url's in walledgarden in your RB with hotspot.

MrLINK
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi,

I checked the page where the redirect issues occured at most, but I couldn't find any external ressources (used the browser debugger, looked into html also asked the web admin). "Unfortunately" external ressources seem not to be the issue here. Any other suggestions?

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:28 am

Has the external site been added to the walled garden?

MrLINK
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Has the external site been added to the walled garden?
Yes of course. Most of the time the redirect works, but in some cases (1 out of 5 tries) I get the redirect issue. I can easily reproduce the issue by closing Firefox completely and resarting it. I think this may has something to do with captive portal. Chrome seems to be fine. If I open Chrome it uses gstatic to detect captive portals:
In the event that Chrome detects SSL connection timeouts, certificate errors, or
other network issues that might be caused by a captive portal (a hotel's WiFi
network, for instance), Chrome will make a cookieless request to http://www.gstatic.com/generate_204
and check the response code. If that request is redirected, Chrome will open the redirect
target in a new tab on the assumption that it's a login page. Requests to the captive
portal detection page are not logged.
Maybe this is one key difference compared to my Firefox 48.0.2. With Chrome I wasn't able to reproduce this isse. Beside Firefox I also have some iPhones having that issue.

EDIT: You should be able to reproduce the issue on your own by setting up a simple hotspot with an unauth-redirect to an external page (e.g. goole.com).

minanaguib60
just joined

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:54 am

I am having sam issue
Any solution found?

Medievaldes
just joined

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi guys,
Sorry I know this is an old thread, but I've found that I have the same issue with our CCR1072. We're redirecting to a 3rd party hotspot service and sometimes user device is getting their web browser (chrome) with the message error "err_too_many_redirects". Problem most of the time is fixed with only disconnecting and reconnecting to the WLAN.

Have you guys encounter the same issue, if yes, how do you solved it. Or any ideas to troubleshoot this?

Best regards,