Community discussions

MikroTik App

razortas
Topic Author

Feature-Request - InterfaceList in Queue-Tree

Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:15 am

Now that we are able to create interface lists for use in firewall, would it be possible to use interface list as parent in queuu-tree ?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature-Request - InterfaceList in Queue-Tree

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:26 pm

You can already achieve this by setting a queue tree's parent to global, and then marking traffic based on interface lists.

razortas
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:27 am

Thanks ZeroByte ..... still however confusing the use of Global ? Would you be able to exemplify the different use of global vs interface as parent.
Lookin at QOS i currently mark traffic based on DSCP. I Have multiple queues with different criteria currently with parent based on interface outbound,i have multiple outbound interfaces. If i make parent Global in order to use interface lists, are'nt i then borrowing from Global as well for any other Parent/child queues in place ? IE: if my global is set at say 10M and i have two child queues underneath, and then i have another Parent with Parent set on interface, queue set at 10M with child queues does not the second parent queue take from the first Global queue ? Currently i have to have multiple queues for each outgoing interface, i was thinking that if Parent could be selected as interface list i could cut down on number of queues in queue tree. :? :? :?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:49 pm

If you're using queue trees to do QoS on multiple interfaces, then you need to replicate the tree for every different interface.

It makes sense when you think about it - The tree's root queue supplies the "budget" to the sub-queues attached to it. If two interfaces' traffic both pull from the same root queue, then this would break QoS.

Suppose you have two interfaces where one of them has 3Mbps and the other has 5Mbps.

If the master queue is showing 4Mbps of traffic, is this 2 on one and 2 on the other, or is it 3 on the first (requiring that some traffic might be prioritized) and 1 on the second?
QoS only matters when there's congestion, so you really need to track each interface's load as a separate entity for QoS purposes.

Grouping interfaces' consumption makes more sense in other scenarios - suppose you had 10 customer-facing interfaces and wanted to rate-limit the group of them so that they can never combine to pull more than X amount of bandwidth.... That's the kind of scenario I thought you were working with.

To answer your question about what's the difference between global parent and interface parent - a queue tree with a global parent will carry every single packet that flows through the router (upstream / downstream doesn't matter - they both add up to a single total and the queue works with that) where a queue with an interface as the parent will only track traffic that goes OUT that interface.