Community discussions

MikroTik App

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Suggestion: Backup improvements

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:30 pm

Inspired by this thread (but not just that, I was planning to ask for a longer time), I'd like to suggest to add more flexibility to handling of backups.

Backups are good, people want them, they're very useful, etc. First impression is good, RouterOS supports backups, and there are even two ways, backup and export, but...

Problem: Both methods have some shortcomings:

1) Backup saves everything. But it's really meant only for same device. Even restoring it to same device model (but not the exact original device) has some unexpected consequences. You also can't see what's inside backup file, e.g. to take only part of config for other device, or simply to compare changes between two backups.

2) Export saves config in form of readable RouterOS commands, which looks like solution for backup's problems. But only until you realize (hopefully not the hard way, when your router dies and exported configuration is the only backup you have) that export does not save everything, it skips user accounts, certificates, possibly also other stuff.

Suggested solution: Do (at least one of) the following:

a) Add /export option to export *everything*.

b) Make a "backup2config" tool to convert backup files to readable text form (RouterOS commands).

For certificates, it would be probably easiest to extend current RouterOS commands to accept certificates as parameter in PEM format.

elpoolet
just joined

Re: Suggestion: Backup improvements

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:48 am

I encourage this kind of backup solution.
even if for my particular cases, /export is sufficient.