Community discussions

MikroTik App

Janevski
Topic Author

Request: RouterOS as independant DNS resolver

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:44 pm

Currently the RouterOS DNS server works only as DNS forwarder. It relies on other DNS server to do the recursion.
I would like for RouterOS to have a DNS resolver option, so it would do DNS recursion on it's own, independently - if needed.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Request: RouterOS as independant DNS resolver

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:21 am

There have been such ideas before. Some people clearly want it, and I'm sure that MikroTik would like if they bought their hardware to run it, instead of some PC with Linux and whatever DNS software that does the job for them.

On the other hand, there wasn't too many of these requests, at least publicly posted in this forum. Plus IMHO it would make no sense to do half-assed job and only provide simple recursive resolver. If they should create something (as a *optional* package of course; that's for "pure router" fan club ;)), it should have all modern features (DNSSEC, ...). And that, combined with probably low demand, might be too much.

Perhaps using some existing software (e.g. Unbound is even BSD-licensed, so they could do pretty much anything with it) could be the way. Package it for RouterOS, add nice and friendly WinBox/WebFig/CLI interface for it... that could be a dream come true.

But the realistic answer is probably "keep dreaming".

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:54 am

if it is for the pure router fan club than this feature is an absolute must. Mikrotik routerOS lacks many features. If a lot of features were included they would get more sales rather than people buying consumer routers and flashing 3rd party firmware or using a PC with a linux OS as a router.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:35 am

Why not grab a Raspberry and put Pi-Hole ( https://pi-hole.net/ on it. You have your filtering, also wildcard, of advertisements and DNSSEC in the default program and you can ad packages like DNSCrypt.

I am using myself DNSMasq and I have to manual keep the advertisement list up-to-date and can use the host or DNSMasq config file to resolve internal sever names.

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:00 am

fun fact, i have a raspberry pi 2 powered by my CCR and connected to it to perform the tasks that routerOS cant.

I still would prefer if routerOS could perform the tasks rather as its going to be decades before 10Gb/s internet arrives in the UK so there are many cores pretty much unused.

I would also like to request an independent NTP services as well where if you have 3 routerboards you can make your own NTP setup which you wont need to sync with the outside world.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:48 am

\
I would also like to request an independent NTP services as well where if you have 3 routerboards you can make your own NTP setup which you wont need to sync with the outside world.
This is already available, there is an NTP package and a GPS package. It does not always work, but some people use it.

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:43 pm

What i mean is to have your own ntp network without the need of an external one such that you dont need to ever sync with an external ntp server.
https://bogner.sh/2014/12/how-use-ntp-w ... -networks/ is what i mean. A single NTP server isnt accurate with time as you need 3 NTP servers to sync with each other for accurate time keeping without an atomic clock.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Yes you can do this with MikroTik, with some routers running the NTP server package and some that have a GPS receiver and the GPS package.
However, it would be kind of foolish. Get one or more LeoNTP servers and sync your entire network, very cheap and very accurate.

nickb

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:52 pm

\
This is already available, there is an NTP package and a GPS package. It does not always work, but some people use it.
Unless it's changed since I last checked, the NTP package for operating as an NTP *server* is only available on x86 builds of ROS. I don't know about GPS.

I just use pool.ntp.org for my upstream, but having accurate time independent of the 'net isn't a concern for us.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Unless it's changed since I last checked, the NTP package for operating as an NTP *server* is only available on x86 builds of ROS. I don't know about GPS.
Then it has changed since you last checked!
OTOH, I have never seen it like you mention, so it must be quite long since you last checked.

nickb

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Then it has changed since you last checked!
OTOH, I have never seen it like you mention, so it must be quite long since you last checked.
Honestly it's been since something like 2.9 or 3.0 since I checked. I have a central x86 router for numerous telemetry tasks, including NTP server and have never had need of any other NTP server.

Janevski
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Why not grab a Raspberry and put Pi-Hole ( https://pi-hole.net/ on it. You have your filtering, also wildcard, of advertisements and DNSSEC in the default program and you can ad packages like DNSCrypt.

I am using myself DNSMasq and I have to manual keep the advertisement list up-to-date and can use the host or DNSMasq config file to resolve internal sever names.
This looks very, very, very interesting.

Thank you for sharing. :)