Community discussions

MikroTik App

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Feature req: DHCP rate-limit

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:54 pm

MT DHCP server allows setting rate-limit for each static lease. Basicaly, when user gets lease, MT creates simple queue for his IP using rate-limit parameters. That may be pretty useful.

Option lacks some stuff.

It would be good that rate-limit may be used to specify more simple queue parameters, for instance parent, interface, name etc.

Now, dynamic simple queue cathes all interfaces and does not have parent. If router is set with general static simple queue rules, if qwould be advisable to link dynamic rules with those general, allowing grouping clients.

Interface parameter is also needed, as usually router is used to enforce QoS on internet link, but local traffic should be unlimited. As it is now, dynamic simple queue rules are enforced an all interface meaning all traffic would be limited regardless it is local or internet traffic.

Name parameter would allow custom name for dynamic simple queue. Now, when queue is created name is generated by concatenaning several information from DHCP (mac, id, interface...) which is hard to follow. Custom set name would make it more readable for administration.

There is another need: rate-limit may be set only for static leases. If would be good, that rate-limit may be set for dynamic leases too. It could be done by introducing rate-limit to dhcp-server settings or pool settings.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature req: DHCP rate-limit

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:15 pm

as always, simple queues are for simple setups =)

if you need more - use 'address-list' parameter and create static queues

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 pm

I consider this request as simple setup.

I do it now with address lists, and static simple queues. Functionality I proposed would make it much easier to setup and maintain.

capcowboy
just joined

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:17 am

Agreed, having rate limit on DHCP is an awesome feature, but it lacks the ability to shape the rest the network with this feature. If we are unable to get this feature. What about some how making DHCP traffic to a que. Give me something to work with to tie ques to DHCP besides creating subnets assigned to ques and pools that i statically assign someone to would be great.