Community discussions

MikroTik App

Zapnologica
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Suggestions

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:50 am

Here are some crazy ideas/ features that i have thought that mikrotik have needed in the past and some brainstormed ones:

Don't tune me and rip them off, im just throwing some ideas out there, If they dumb then don't use them.

1> Add a option in user manager when adding a user to set the time period for how long the counters must run until being reset. So like most of my clients work on a month to month thing and i have to manually reset the counters ( i know u can do it with scripts but if the ntp server does not update or some thing all my counters get lost)

2> Global tls setting for email (not only when sending a email from scripts)

3> Small (mini) web server, so a slight variant of hot spot (I have been told this idea is silly so)

4> Chose the target for the hot spot redirect url? ( so by default it redirects u to the login page on the RB, maybe it could just redirect you to any URL ( useful for other things, not only hot spot)

5> Add time schedule on Routes ( So that router will work between the time u have set, and in the times u have not set it to work that it will disable)

6> Choose what ip the Route Pings when u have "Check gateway: ping " selected ( let us put in what IP to ping)'

7> Allow for DNS names to be entered into fields where a IP address is required (this might already be implemented)

8> With web proxy, i would love to be able to delete single entries of cache, right now u can only delete every thing. Would amazing to select the one u want and then click delete, only deleting the selected one.

Thats all i can think of now, I had other ones but i cant remember them.
I will add them later.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Suggestions

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:08 am

4> Chose the target for the hot spot redirect url? ( so by default it redirects u to the login page on the RB, maybe it could just redirect you to any URL ( useful for other things, not only hot spot)
You can already do that

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Cu ... ng_Hotspot
http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3. ... otspot.php
5> Add time schedule on Routes ( So that router will work between the time u have set, and in the times u have not set it to work that it will disable)
Use System Scheduler to do that
6> Choose what ip the Route Pings when u have "Check gateway: ping " selected ( let us put in what IP to ping)'
Use Netwatch to do that
7> Allow for DNS names to be entered into fields where a IP address is required (this might already be implemented)
Won't happen, what will you do if it resolves to 20 addresses? or what will you do if the address changes? You would need to resolve the DNS name again. So how often will you do that? And if you have 2000 rules, how often will you resolve all 2000 DNS names? Every few seconds? Too much resources

Trisc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:20 pm

How about ability to scan for wireless channels when you are connected through the wireless interface? So scan for say 10 seconds and save results in winbox.

We have other wireless CPE where this is possible via web interface or management console.

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Won't happen, what will you do if it resolves to 20 addresses? or what will you do if the address changes? You would need to resolve the DNS name again. So how often will you do that? And if you have 2000 rules, how often will you resolve all 2000 DNS names? Every few seconds? Too much resources
Something which is feasable to implement is that the name is resolved immedately on entry, and the IP address is actually stored (again choosing the first or random one if there is more than one).

for example:

/firewall filter add src=www.google.com ...

would be the equivalent of typing

/firewall filter add src=66.102.7.104 ...

and winbox or any print commands/export etc would show 66.102.7.104 as the resolution was done right at the time of entry and translated to the equivalent numeric version of the command.

(66.102.7.104 is what I happened to get right now when I pinged http://www.google.com)

Otherwise, some other devices i've seen that allow you to use a dns name typically only resolve it at the time the config file is read (usually on boot, or only when a change is made), and use either the first, or a random one, if multiple values are returned, and then never re-look it up again, unless there is a user-command to do so.

This gives the convenience of having a DNS name for something that may change, without the router having to worry about it changing, as long as the documentation makes it clear that the DNS is resolved only on boot or on change, and that anything relying on the name-resolution won't come up until its resolved, which could get sticky. (I think the ones i've seen wouldn't let you use a DNS name for an interface address, but only for things that didn't have to work right at boot, like a radius server, or something like that, where the operation of a router as a router (as opposed to a firewall or pppoe server, etc) wouldn't depend on a DNS lookup working.)

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:11 am

It could be simple too:
As mentioned, resolve once only during config time, then, a global command could be issued via scheduler, something like:
/ip firewall filter resolve-rules [find] or <id>
. This would then be up to the user of RouterOS to decide the resolution retries, etc... This would provide a very simple, yet flexible option that I think everyone could agree upon.
Keep in mind: the rule would still have src/dst="example.com", but a command within the submenu would do the actual resolving.

I think it's sounds awesome :)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:45 am

Using DNS names might not be possible in firewall rules. But there are other places where it should not pose any problem. Server address for VPN client for example. The solution with script is very bad joke.

Zapnologica
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:04 am

More crazy ideas.

1:
Have a NAS type function for RB's with a usb port. Allot of the commercial routers are coming out with a file sharing option and a usb port. Would be great to attach a external hdd and be able to share it on the network.

2: (really crazy idea) Support USB Web cam ip transfer. So make it so that you could plug a usb webcam into the RB and then be able to record from it as if it was a IP camera. Ip cameras are so expensive, it would be much cheaper to buy a rb with 2 usb ports and 2 web cams than to buy 2 ip cameras (for indoor use of course)

3: Would be nice if mikrotik could some how have a remote Store. So like you could add a hdd to the mikrotik that is acctuly on your file server? So you would create a space on your server / pc with a client software or with common NAS features and then you would put the ip ,user , password and it would then work as a storage area for web-cache or userman or what eva you use.

4: would be amazing if the new RB came out with a sata connection or 2 on it.

phaseform

Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:22 pm

I was just thinking that it's frustrating that the micro USB on my hAP lite is kinda temperamental, would be cool if it had the old B type USB, not as common but perhaps more reliable.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:16 pm

I was just thinking that it's frustrating that the micro USB on my hAP lite is kinda temperamental, would be cool if it had the old B type USB, not as common but perhaps more reliable.
I agree. I've had my hAP-Lite and mAP-Lite reboot with a slight touch of the micro-usb cable.
The old DC jack is way more reliable than this micro-usb thingy.

I understand the use of it on devices like mobile phones (planned obsolescence?), but why on routers?!

Not to mention that I used to have one big power supply/UPS to power every routerboard device on my network. Everything worked at 24Volts, easily and efficiently.
Now I need separate converters to bring the voltage down to 5V for those devices. Less efficient and a total mess for no good reason IMHO. At least for hAP-Lite which is a 'desktop' device.

mAP-Lite powered from my laptop's usb port, was useful though, I have to admit that.
To be more precise, I find useful the ability to power mAP-Lite at 5V. Not the micro-usb connector.

phaseform

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:36 pm

@Cha0s Snap on the avatar, wasn't IPv4 made from maybe like lsd25 or something?

rrwakc
just joined

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:55 pm

Was there any consideration/plans of creating a Mikrotik lite SoM MODULE?

eg. intended for system integrators, that in core has something like map lite/RB931-2nD/(or even Hap AC lite) without the enclosure, antennas(use uFL), transformers or connectors but with RouterOS.
Made with industrial components and on single SoM module ready for pick&place and soldering or m.2 / miniPCe compatible.

Think of it like RouterBoard series but more RouterModule - RM931/RMlite/RMac, ....
Basically something like 8 devices Carambola/rambutan or the Hi-Link HLK-RM04.

You would probably be able to get customers with production lines of 100k modules/month even with prices double the ones you have for packaged systems.

and if it also has support for serial, i2c for custom peripherals or maybe even
directly supported scripts for measuring battery though TCP/IP port on ADC pin or driving few digital outputs it would be beyond current competition.
Some system integrators might likely also benefit from RS485/CAN an similar industrial standards or 1/2 high power relay outputs(securiy) .

p.s.
Take in to consideration the PoE you designed for map lite. It basically takes anything from a passive 10V to 60V with anything in between(802.3af/at) + usb(5V) and it is already smaller than some of the commercial modules.

p.p.s.
Ideally(for us) would be: 2x100Mbit, support for 5GHz(to avoid disturbing other communication on 2.4GHz), 1 ADC 10-60V(or whatever the voltage level of the device is) and fast boot up.