Community discussions

MikroTik App

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Small but useful argument to /system reset

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Dear baldaszti,
Maybe I missed something in the discussion (forgive me...) o I am asking something obvious, but why you have to reconfigure the whole router so soon? I really can't understand.
It's not so soon. The time is irrelevant, the point is, if we need to upload the configuration from the central management sever, we can do it once, and never again. The reset is necessary because the /export command generates such clis that it gives error on /import (it's about using "set" and "add"). It can be loaded only if the device has empty config (that's fine, many company use this method). And we cannot use any tool that compares and generate clis, it's a question of responsibility (we have to send the commands unchanged to the device, so if an error occurs, it's the administrator's fault, not some program bug).
I've used Milliscript for processing export files and never had a problem. Have you seen the latest version - http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Milliscript ?

It's a godsend!

Rgds,
Mark.

baldaszti
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:01 pm

I've used Milliscript for processing export files and never had a problem. Have you seen the latest version - http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Milliscript ?

It's a godsend!

Rgds,
Mark.
Thanks for the tip, it's really a great tool indeed, but it does not solve my problem. I cannot use third party tool to modify the configuration (question of responsibility), as I wrote before.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:30 pm

if you are that concerned about security you should know that keeping those keys is insecure when router is completely reconfigured.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:53 pm

if you are that concerned about security you should know that keeping those keys is insecure when router is completely reconfigured.
then let him a way to load reference config to working router ;)

baldaszti
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:30 am

Dear Mikrotik,

Two months passed, the 5.7 is out, and host key still regenerating.
You did not manage to put a simple "if()" in your code within 2 months. This means your RouterOS is the only software in our arsenal that cannot save it's configuration in cli format and load it back again, so management decided to throw all of them out. Congratulations! I'm pretty sure you'll have no further orders from my government (the owner of our company).

Don't tell me you didn't had the chance. Sic transit gloria mundi!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:36 am

Dear Mikrotik,

Two months passed, the 5.7 is out, and host key still regenerating.
You did not manage to put a simple "if()" in your code within 2 months. This means your RouterOS is the only software in our arsenal that cannot save it's configuration in cli format and load it back again, so management decided to throw all of them out. Congratulations! I'm pretty sure you'll have no further orders from my government (the owner of our company).

Don't tell me you didn't had the chance. Sic transit gloria mundi!
I'm sorry but during all this time, you couldn't clearly explain things that you needed, and why. We added some new functionality, but apparently it wasn't enough.

baldaszti
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:30 pm

I did, several times. As a matter of fact, others wanted it too.

What? A way to keep host key after loading entire config with run-after-reset
Why? Because always changing key is useless for authentication, and without clearing config /import fails

If this is not good enough for you, I cannot help. It is trivial for all (including all of your concurrence) except you that saving and restoring full configuration in cli format is a must.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:40 am

Thank you, it's clear now. We will make it in one of the upcoming versions.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:47 am

It was clear from the begining of this topic. :)

I am actually glad Mirkotik lost such a big buyer. I hope that would be educative and provide beter attitude toward users.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:53 am

I'm sorry but it wasn't clear. The original request said "SSH keys" and we made this:

*) system reset-configuration - if keep-users is specified ssh user keys are
preserved as well;

pdubois
just joined

Fri May 08, 2015 4:07 pm

Hello All,

I'm currently implementing an automated configuration and testing environment for mikrotik devices and would really like to preserve the device's SSH keys through a '/system reset-configuration' command as well.

Has this feature actually been implemented? I can't find it either via documentation or via exploring the obvious functions on my device.

I originally thought one could submit a predetermined ssh key via rsc file but can't seem to find information on that either. Any ideas?