Community discussions

MikroTik App

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

5.11 LTE GOBI?

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:08 am

We see that LTE was added to interfaces and that in 5.10 the port firmware command was added to support GOBI 2000.

Does this mean that support for GOBI 3000 (Sierra Wireless MC7750, MC7780 and Novatel Expedite E362 and E371) is close? What about USB devices too?

Very excited if this is true....please tell us more.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: 5.11 LTE GOBI?

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:34 am

currently we have added only this LTE card for the LTE mode in v5.12:
BandRich BandLuxe C501

If the other cards is using the same driver as this one then we could try to add support for them. Contact support@mikrotik.com with the support output file attached and remote access details to the unit for debugging to check if it is possible to add support or not.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:53 am

in addition to what uldis said, this is the driver we will use in v5.12:
*) lte - new interface type for LTE modems, currently modems utilizing
cdc_ether driver should work with this release;
if your other card works with the cdc_ether driver, we can try to add support for it.

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:46 am

It looks like Bandrich has a variety of USB and miniPCIe modules that are in the same "500" family and based on MDM9200 Gobi 4000 chips. There are flavors for almost all combinations of EvDO, GSM, HSPA, etc.

In particular we would be interested in the B13 version which is the C506 or M506. It is unclear from their literature if the M50x modules are USB only or full implementation of miniPCIe. We have requested data sheets.

So if the cards support EvDO and LTE B13 and use the cdc_ether driver, then the next question would be about roaming. Verizon, for instance, uses a modified eHDR authentication scheme which allows them to interoperate EvDO and LTE using the same client authentication system. This is a departure from standard LTE authentication. Does anyone have any idea about how to handle this in MT system?

Verizon does not make it easy. On Windows and Macintosh they actual have a user app (VZ Access Manager and windows driver) that swaps the EEPROM around when roaming between 3G and 4G, at least with the Pantech UML290 or the Novatel 551 that is how they do it. It completely disrupts communication when roaming. We have been locking modems to either 3G or 4G on a windows PC before installing to a MT based router. Not exactly what the customer wants, since the router cannot roam between 3G and 4G. We are looking for something that will work with MT and allow roaming between 3G and 4G. This Bandrich product line looks pretty good, but will is solve our issues?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:04 am

it has built in ability to switch between 3G and 4G. in the LTE menu you will be able to set 'preferred network type'. also it will fall back to 3G if there is no 4G

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:10 am

We have confirmed with Verizon that Bandrich modems are not approved for use on their network and they will not give you a SIM and approval to operate their modems.

We spoke with Bandrich and they have not been successful in getting their devices approved and are not even trying.

So, does anyone have an ideas on other LTE modems that will function similarly allowing switching from 4G to 3G and back on Verizon?

This is getting to critical point for our customers.

When will 5.12 ship? Will it include full support for LTE modems?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:42 am

you can get a pre-release by emailing support, but as you said youself, if you can't use Bandrich, there is no use

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Acellerating LTE GOBI on ROS

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:30 pm

We have a major project that requires 4G LTE over Verizon in USA. There are only four modem options:

1. Pantech UML290 - Gobi 3000 chipset, USB, EVDO, external antenna ports
2. Novatel 551L - Gobi 3000 chipset, USB, EVDO, no external antenna ports, poor quality materials - Can't use
3. Sierra Wireless MC7750 - Gobi 3000 chipset, miniPCIe, EVDO, HSPA+, EDGE, GPRS, uses full miniPCIe signals, not just USB - Can't use
4. Novatel E362 - Gobi 3000 chipset, miniPCIe, EVDO, HSPA+, EDGE, GPRS, may only use USB, so might be able to use

Cannot use Bandrich. Verizon will not be authorizing this modem.

The bottom line is that we have to support Gobi 3000 in order to work with Verizon LTE. We want to use MT, ROS and MIPS AR71xx processors for this, but the current support for LTE is limited to cdc ethernet drivers that are not compatible with Qualcomm management interface which runs on its own USB endpoint.

Ideally we need to support the Pantech UML290, since that is what we have used so far, just locking them to EVDO mode.

The Pantech has the following layout:

0 (2/2/1): CDC-ACM for AT commands
1 (10/0/0): CDC-DATA for interface 0
2 (ff/ff/ff): Qualcomm DIAG
3 (ff/fd/ff): NMEA
4 (ff/fe/ff): Pantech WMC
5 (ff/f0/ff): RMNET/QMI port

A team of developers has been working on patches to the cdc_wdm module of the Linux USB drivers in the latest kernel. This driver is part of the NEXT test release of kernel. They are very close to having this all working in linux (may already be working, but they need to test). Then all that needs to be developed is the user space application to manage it. What I was hoping was that MT could make this part of 5.13 release and grab the code from kernel driver, add some command fields to the PPP client dialog and get GOBI and in particular the UML290 supported. This will open up a huge market opportunity.

Assuming that this won't happen we are also working on bringing this capability into OpenWRT and then putting that onto our RBs. We really don't want to do that. It is a support nightmare, but we have to do something.

We can provide some support towards getting this done such as documentation. See attached.

MT, is this possible?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:45 pm

Clearly this is of interest as 891 views in one day...

MT, any response

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:55 am

I also, now have the option of using a LTE USB devices (Verizon) on projects now and agree this should be addressed as soon as possible.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 am

email mikrotik. mikrotik staff is not following all forum posts.

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:44 am

If no one from MT is watching, then how did you know to respond?

What do I need to email beyond all of the information conveyed here? Happy to provide whatever is required to get the driver done.

Obviously nearly a thousand other folks are interested in the outcome.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:34 pm

If no one from MT is watching, then how did you know to respond?

What do I need to email beyond all of the information conveyed here? Happy to provide whatever is required to get the driver done.

Obviously nearly a thousand other folks are interested in the outcome.
we need a supout.rif file from the device with the specific modem, and we will see if we can add support for it.

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:04 am

supout.rif was sent

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:48 pm

I sent the supout.rif two days ago and have not heard anything. No acknowledgement, no trouble ticket, nothing. Can someone at MT at least let me know you received it? Sent a follow up email that was not responded to either.

Thanks

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:04 pm

you should receive at least automated replies with ticket numbers

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Nope, nothing. I do get notices of postings to the forum, but nothing from support.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Nope, nothing. I do get notices of postings to the forum, but nothing from support.
we haven't received any emails to support@mikrotik.com from your email address. Could you try to send it from different email address?

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Can you please check your spam filters and block lists for my domain cafedot.com. I have no issues sending or receiving mail to others.

I sent the support request from yahoo mail. Ticket#2012020366000461

mchapman
just joined

Re: Acellerating LTE GOBI on ROS

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:15 pm

[quote="DogHead"]We have a major project that requires 4G LTE over Verizon in USA. There are only four modem options:

3. Sierra Wireless MC7750 - Gobi 3000 chipset, miniPCIe, EVDO, HSPA+, EDGE, GPRS, uses full miniPCIe signals, not just USB - Can't use
/[quote]

Why can't you use the Sierra Wireless module? I am interested in this post as well. I would like to see if I could use the Sierra module to connect an IP camera up to the router.

Mike

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Sierra Wireless MC7750 will not run on RB411U as it has full miniPCIe signaling. The RB411U only has USB. We have tested one and the the card is not even discovered as USB port by ROS. We are waiting to see about the Novatel E362, but the prognosis is not good.

Right now the only viable modem option appears to be the Pantech UML290. Having no luck with this at all.

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:49 pm

I received an email back from MT support on this topic.

It appears that there will be no support coming for the IP drivers required for GOBI 3000 from MT.

"that IP driver is a standalone driver which is not included in the kernel drivers.
We are not adding drivers that are not in the kernel already. If and when those
drivers will be included in the kernel then we will try to add them."

Combine this with the lack of support for mesh on MIMO, performance issues with 802.11n interoperability, stability issues in MIMO implementation (particularly with 3x3), and competitive pressures brought on by advancements that Ubiquiti has made in their products (while cutting costs), ROS is becoming less and less attractive. So we will have to write the driver ourselves and move to OpenWRT. Bummer. This is really painful. But with the potential of 4000 units for this next project, I think it will be worth it.

Routerboards are still good products, but ROS is becoming an issue because of its closed status and the inability to add features from the Open Source world to make it competitive. We have installed OpenWRT on several Routerboards and it works great, but needs a few tweaks.

It would be cool if ROS had a toolchain like OpenWRT that would allow for the building of modules that could be added to the system or an SDK. I know that the value of ROS is the closed nature of the OS and support from MT, but if you don't get the features and functions you need to sell product, then you have to look elsewhere.

dskirtech
just joined

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:15 pm

I know this is an older thread, but I am also in a jam over supported Verizon LTE devices. Any Update here? Especially on the Expedite Mini PCIe modules...

Thanks!