Community discussions

MikroTik App

getshum
just joined
Topic Author

Remote logging to syslog server not working

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:58 am

I have several routerboards that I setup for remote logging and none of them work. On the same network I have an HP switch and Cisco router that are working to send syslog messages. I also have other devices on other networks using this syslog server just fine. I am using Splunk. The firewall into the syslog server is wide open for UDP 514.

I tweaked every setting available. I used the default rules and actions, added the source IP, disabled all local logging so everything was going to remote. Tried custom rules and actions, and I am not getting a single message in from my routerboards.

Local logging works fine, just not remote.

I've got 2011L's running 2.41 firmware.

Anyone have any ideas?

getshum
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Remote logging to syslog server not working

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 pm

I figured it out. The issue was with my firewall going to my syslog server. I was restricting based on source and destination port UDP/514 which obviously is incorrect. Interestingly, HP switches do send syslog messages FROM UDP/514 as well, but apparently nothing else does. :D

Syslog is working great now.

getshum
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:29 am

I spoke too soon. Most of my Mikrotiks are working, but some are not. All RB2011's are working, but the 3 RB435G's are not working. I have checked and re-checked the settings, and setup packet sniffer and no syslog messages go out at all. I have one 435 on v5.22 and the other two are on v5.21.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

getshum
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Anyone have any ideas on this?