Community discussions

MikroTik App

kodiak
just joined
Topic Author

Feature Request: More reasonable NTP & Clock management

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm

I think it would be very nice if there were an option to have RouterOS sensibly manage NTP and clock setting once a default gateway is up. Once a RouterOS device has an uplink to the Internet, it should be trivial for it to set some common sense settings (if you choose to enable the optional feature for it to do so), based on public time sources and network location.

I think that RouterOS should use network location to pick a time zone, then something like time.nist.gov to set the clock time and date, then choose the most reasonable pool on pool.ntp.org (eg: 0.us.pool.ntp.org if it knows that you're in the US).

Furthermore to this new RouterOS user, it appears that the only valid NTP server entries are IP addresses. This is less than optimal and right now based on RouterOS scripts I've seen, the only way for pool-like ops is to use a big NTP script that periodically refreshes NTP settings with responses to a regional pool.ntp.org CNAME.

Anyhow, I'm new here so this is just my opinion on something that looks odd from my admittedly inexperienced perspective.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature Request: More reasonable NTP & Clock management

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm

I think it would be very nice if there were an option to have RouterOS sensibly manage NTP and clock setting once a default gateway is up. Once a RouterOS device has an uplink to the Internet, it should be trivial for it to set some common sense settings (if you choose to enable the optional feature for it to do so), based on public time sources and network location.

I think that RouterOS should use network location to pick a time zone, then something like time.nist.gov to set the clock time and date, then choose the most reasonable pool on pool.ntp.org (eg: 0.us.pool.ntp.org if it knows that you're in the US).

Furthermore to this new RouterOS user, it appears that the only valid NTP server entries are IP addresses. This is less than optimal and right now based on RouterOS scripts I've seen, the only way for pool-like ops is to use a big NTP script that periodically refreshes NTP settings with responses to a regional pool.ntp.org CNAME.

Anyhow, I'm new here so this is just my opinion on something that looks odd from my admittedly inexperienced perspective.
Just use the script. It's easier.

kodiak
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 pm

It may be "easier" but it's less functional, and less clean than competitor router operating systems (Junos, Cisco).
The is a feature request for an enhancement. Areas for enhancement are not invalidated by workarounds. :D

I'll also point out that your suggestion doesn't address the clumsiness of the clock either.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:31 pm

It may be "easier" but it's less functional, and less clean than competitor router operating systems (Junos, Cisco).
The is a feature request for an enhancement. Areas for enhancement are not invalidated by workarounds. :D

I'll also point out that your suggestion doesn't address the clumsiness of the clock either.
Oh don't get me wrong... I completely agree. I think the solution is clunky and odd. But I don't see them changing it any time soon.

kodiak
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Oh don't get me wrong... I completely agree. I think the solution is clunky and odd. But I don't see them changing it any time soon.
Fair enough. I don't have much of an idea of how fast RouterOS has been maturing toward competitiveness with more common router OSes here in the US, but I figure I'll do my new customer routine and start asking for things to be fixed or enhanced when I see something that seems broken or needlessly complex. It sounded from perusal of other threads that the devs are actively working on a few enhancements. I figure sane NTP and clock configuration would be a nice perk to add to the enhancement request list.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Fair enough. I don't have much of an idea of how fast RouterOS has been maturing toward competitiveness with more common router OSes here in the US, but I figure I'll do my new customer routine and start asking for things to be fixed or enhanced when I see something that seems broken or needlessly complex. It sounded from perusal of other threads that the devs are actively working on a few enhancements. I figure sane NTP and clock configuration would be a nice perk to add to the enhancement request list.
Fair enough.

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Of course using an existing script is easier than using something that isn't possible. MT should allow you to select either one-time DNS resolution or as-needed DNS resolution for all applicable fields.