Community discussions

MikroTik App

davrom
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless disconnects after upgrading from 5.26 to 6.13

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:05 am

Hi All,
I have been trawling through posts on-ilne and it seems the issue has been experienced by others but I can't see a solution posted anywhere. Over the weekend I decided to upgrade my MikroTik RB951G-2HnD (mipsbe) from 5.26 (which I have deployed all customer MikroTiks) to the new 6.13.
I should have read the procedures as I lost everything in the upgrade (my fault, not anyone else's) but it was easily recovered as I am quite obsessed with keeping backups and documenting configs and realised I had to install the extra packages to enable the bits I needed.

The Wireless setup on 5.26 was set to all of the defaults and I had PSK-WPA, PSK-WPA2 and aes.ccm, and I can confirm the same defaults are set on 6.13. I have also now just checked the WiFi settings on my MikroTik as compared to a customer's MikroTik (still on 5.26), and the pages are identical. I am not too excited with wireless connections, I just set a PSK and it allows wireless devices (HP Laptop, Samsung Galaxy Note 3) to connect and use the the network and Internet.

What I have noticed, however, as a new behavior (or at least I am sure is new) is the Wireless Clients box under the Quick Set screen shows the laptop as a constant connection whereas the Samsung mobile is being dropped and reconnects if I start doing 'stuff' that requires the wifi connection from the phone - seems to stay connected for about 1 minute then is de-authed and disappears from the display box. (I keep seeing the WiFi connected message as I use the phone). This can be a pain during browsing sessions from the phone as I have to wait a few seconds for the reconnect for it to work - I am fussy I know, but it did not happen with 5.26 and I am wondering if there is some kind of 'new' connection timeout or keep-alive set somewhere?

I have noted someone saying set the wireless to auto or 2447 (which they did for their Apple devices), but the issue seems to persist for me regardless of what I try :(

My apologies if this is fixed or this is a double-post somehow, but I can't see anyone say it is fixed or how to fix it.

At this point I won't be rolling out 6.13 to customers (as everything works perfectly on 5.26 to date) and if my WiFi woes persist, I will have to try and downgrade to 5.26 if possible to get back to the more stable wifi connection from the mobile phone(s).

BTW: Is there a recommended and easy path to downgrading to 5.26 from 6.13?

davrom
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wireless disconnects after upgrading from 5.26 to 6.13

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:57 am

In typical weekend warrior style (in my dreams), I began to have slowness with the wifi as well so I uploaded all of the packages for 5.26 that I use and ran the recommended:

/system package downgrade

It worked perfectly and kept all of my settings (unlike the upgrade did).

Will re-visit upgrading to 6.x when I see things are more stable.

davrom
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wireless disconnects after upgrading from 5.26 to 6.13

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:23 am

I spoke too soon.

Since my whole change to 6.13 and back to 5.26 the WiFi connection, at least for my Android device, continually drops out (no changes on the Android). So something is now broken regardless of what firmware I am running :-(