Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jigawatt
just joined
Topic Author

Openstack neutron plugin.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:11 am

Hello! I don't generally join message boards because I generally hate people. Lol

Being a long time user of your products I really wanted to share an idea with you.

You guys should make a openstack neutron plugin for mikrotik routerboards cloud line of l3 switches.

Kinda like another producer of switches has for their overpriced junk.

Something that can allow neutron to automatically create and destroy vlans as instances are created and destroyed.

But, what would be trully amazing is automatically creating a l3 gateway for openstack neutrons gre tenant tunnels, that would be game changing! Currently unless your a excellent python programmer you can not get a physical to virtual gateway for any of openstack neutron tenant networks that are using gre tunneling, for less than $9,000.00.

I'm no salesman but this is something that would be very important for me and many others.

Anyway thanks, I will now fade back into obscurity. Keep up the greatness!

Carmine.

voko
just joined

Re: Openstack neutron plugin.

Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:39 am

We are doing OpenStack integration too. We have Mikrotik router and switches too. Can someone from MikroTik company tell us if you have plan to support OpenStack Neutron with Mikrotik? It is important to us too. thanks,

Voko Company
A Cloud Solution Provider

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:53 am

yeah that would be nice. aswell as zabbix package aswell i think.
but as you can see - mikrotik seriously evaluted and considered openflow/sdn and perhaps move serious portions of ROS feats over it, including likely this one too.

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:17 pm

As MikroTik products are more targeted to the (W)ISP sector, there is not much point in integrating a purely datacenter centric feature like OpenStack Neutron into the product line.

Just my two cent.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:21 pm

As MikroTik products are more targeted to the (W)ISP sector
I am not sure if that's the case anymore.

Since the release of CCRs the wifi products have become worse and MikroTik is trying many different stuff at once making things even worse (eg: 6.x has been extremely buggy since the beginning)

On the WiFi front even though new devices are released, the software is pretty much what it used to be since the days of 802.11a.
Nstreme does not work properly on N/AC and NV2 simply sucks on every level. Making Mikrotik for high quality/speed wireless links useless essentially.

Unfortunately (for Mikrotik) it seems that for WISPs, Ubiquiti products for the wireless links are becoming more and more common while keeping Mikrotik as a pure router.

In any case, an Openstack plugin would be awesome!
And now that CHR is on the roadmap it could be very useful!

But I doubt this will ever become reality :P

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:18 am

As MikroTik products are more targeted to the (W)ISP sector
I am not sure if that's the case anymore.
Anyhow, they (MikroTik) are nevertheless not aimed at the DC sector. :wink:

YiHuang
just joined

Fri May 05, 2023 6:12 pm

Hello,
I know this thread has been a while, I've developed a Mikrotik Openstack Neutron ML2 driver, to automate the VLAN creation and delete for RouterOS 7+
Driver here:
https://github.com/YiHuangIX/MikrotikOp ... nML2Driver

Hope this is what you are looking for!