MikroTik App

kometchtech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to build a Wi-Fi roaming environment of using CAPsMAN

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Hello, all

I will question because there was no answer even heard in the forum.

I think You can use the CAPsMAN, to be able to centrally manage the CAP, but Is it possible to build a roaming environment of Wi-Fi while using the CAPsMAN?
Because I think because no apparent way to add MeshInterface in the configuration item, roaming environment can not make be constructed.

1. Please kindly advise if there is a setting method if.

2. As long as there is no way to set, why would you give me to improve so that they can build a roaming environment in future versions?

Best regards.

mcdebugger
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: How to build a Wi-Fi roaming environment of using CAPsMA

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:16 pm

You just need to set one bridge/datapath configuration for your caps in CAPsMAN (either via provisioning or manually for each CAP) and it will just work.
It's not seamless but for now it's working just fine. I have some packets lost when switching between APs', 0.5-2 seconds gap in CSipSimple (SIP client for Android).
You may want also setup access list to reject low signals (then CAPsMAN will drop client when his signal go below accepted and client will reconnect to the strongest AP).

kometchtech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:22 pm

You just need to set one bridge/datapath configuration for your caps in CAPsMAN (either via provisioning or manually for each CAP) and it will just work.
It's not seamless but for now it's working just fine. I have some packets lost when switching between APs', 0.5-2 seconds gap in CSipSimple (SIP client for Android).
You may want also setup access list to reject low signals (then CAPsMAN will drop client when his signal go below accepted and client will reconnect to the strongest AP).
Thank you for answer.

I think datapath because it is connected to the same bridge all, setting in that area that's all right.
The only thing that is not connected to the seamless, but the channel you want to specify more than one CAP to do would be set all the same?

It will be saved and enjoy the neighborhood as well tell me.

Best regards.

mcdebugger
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:14 pm

The only thing that is not connected to the seamless, but the channel you want to specify more than one CAP to do would be set all the same?
You can add different channel settings in Channels tab and then manually select it for each CAP. I added 3 non-overlapping channels to Channels and select some for my CAPs.
You may also use auto freq feature but in my situation it places all of my CAPs on the same channel so I decided to manually assign channel for each CAP.

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:17 pm

I have some packets lost when switching between APs', 0.5-2 seconds gap in CSipSimple (SIP client for Android).
You may want to look at increasing your coverage density if you get dropped packets and have a need for VoIP on your wireless.

mcdebugger
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:20 pm

I have some packets lost when switching between APs', 0.5-2 seconds gap in CSipSimple (SIP client for Android).
You may want to look at increasing your coverage density if you get dropped packets and have a need for VoIP on your wireless.
It was tested in near perfect environment with signal from both APs over -55 dBi. I think it's limitation of current implementation of controller and for now we have nothing to do with it. Just wait)

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:22 pm

There is no provision in the 802.11 spec currently for AP assisted roaming. Its currently all up to the clients wifi drivers. There isn't even a provision in the spec as to when a client should roam.

The only difference between using CAPsMAN and setting up discrete access points all configured the same is that one is centrally managed and the other you manage them discretely. In the future 802.11r and 802.11k will help with roaming but for now if there are drops (which is likely wifi is break before make unlike cell phone roaming) only better coverage will help. Some of the larger vendors (read Cisco and others) do some tricks to help the client move along but often times they cause as much heartache for the client as benefit.

kometchtech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:26 pm

You can add different channel settings in Channels tab and then manually select it for each CAP. I added 3 non-overlapping channels to Channels and select some for my CAPs.
You may also use auto freq feature but in my situation it places all of my CAPs on the same channel so I decided to manually assign channel for each CAP.
Thank you for answer.
You want to set it up so as not to overlap the channel to the CAP each time being.

kometchtech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:28 pm

There is no provision in the 802.11 spec currently for AP assisted roaming. Its currently all up to the clients wifi drivers. There isn't even a provision in the spec as to when a client should roam.

The only difference between using CAPsMAN and setting up discrete access points all configured the same is that one is centrally managed and the other you manage them discretely. In the future 802.11r and 802.11k will help with roaming but for now if there are drops (which is likely wifi is break before make unlike cell phone roaming) only better coverage will help. Some of the larger vendors (read Cisco and others) do some tricks to help the client move along but often times they cause as much heartache for the client as benefit.
Thank you for answer.

I think as long as it can from CAPsMAN, to make settings to remove the weak channel at the very least, roaming is possible in the CAP between, but I wonder would not but hope in the future this.

mcdebugger
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Yep, that's why we all are waiting for 802.11r or some other stuff from Mikrotik. I think we understood each other :)

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:52 am

Doesn't matter if it's in the spec or not. Zero handoff roaming is a no brainer requirement for a centrally managed ap environment. Capsman was the first step. Now the blanks need to be filled in for it to become a true enterprise wireless system.

kometchtech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:57 am

Doesn't matter if it's in the spec or not. Zero handoff roaming is a no brainer requirement for a centrally managed ap environment. Capsman was the first step. Now the blanks need to be filled in for it to become a true enterprise wireless system.
I understand that requirement difficult Zero handoff roaming.
However, at the very least, but I do I accustomed to be able to, such as Mesh configuration of the WDS from CAPsMAN Given the introduction of an office in the future ...

Thank you.