MikroTik App

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wireless package missing from two latest RCs

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:51 am

Hello,

The wireless package is completely missing from all architectures in the all_files.zip of the two last rc versions (rc9 and rc10). I was did not see that at first (it is nowhere in the changelog) and upgraded two routers. The result was to lose wireless and also lose all wireless configuration when I downgraded to rc6 (since all wlan interfaces had to be created anew).

Why is this happening? Why is this not appearing as a warning in the changelog? Why have things like that happenned so many times in the past few months? You used to be more careful with your rc releases just a year ago, and they were not even publically available then... If you want to encourage wider beta testing (as your move to make the rc builds publically available suggests), you will have to establish and enforce some minimum quality standards regarding these builds and their documentation. Ommiting a crucial package and "forgetting" to, at least, document this omission is not what I would expect as a RouterOS beta tester.

Do not get me wrong. I love RouterOS (if there was a t-shirt, I would definitely buy one!) and I appreciate and respect the work you put into it. I think that, in this price range and even on higher ones, there is simply no alternative. But in the last few months, it looks like you are pushing development a little bit over your limits. This has resulted in omissions and other stupid errors, even in release versions, which could have easily been avoided. So what I am doing here is (once again) ring a friendly bell.

Regards
Nicholas Kourtzis

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless package missing from two latest RCs

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Wireless is replaced by a new wireless-fp

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless package missing from two latest RCs

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Why is this not appearing as a warning in the changelog?
Changelog is never complete :( This is normal