Community discussions

MikroTik App

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

feature request: CCR more disk functionality

Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi i am having difficulties with my CCR because non-system storage can only be used in FTP and web proxy cache. I would like to be able to use other storages for a lot more things like logging, graphing, and having the ability for the router to automatically backup itself regularly to the non system storage.

I would also like to request that routerOS support FAT16, ext2, ext4 and NTFS. external storage support on the CCR is very filmsy and without much functionality compared to other routerboards. My friends keep saying " you spent so much on mikrotik that you cant even do simple usb tasks that cheap consumer routers can do". Please mikrotik, add more usb functionality to sell to those of us who use routerOS at home as well. I know routerOS is a really good router for cisco functionality but dont miss out on other features too.

I would also like to be able to use newer USB wireless devices on my CCR to also turn it into a wireless AP at the same time. Less devices means less power use. Adding a usb wifi adapter only would add 2W instead of 10-15W of a wifi AP, less plugs and less wires going around.

marrold

Re: feature request: CCR more disk functionality

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:35 am

non-system storage can only be used in FTP and web proxy cache. I would like to be able to use other storages for a lot more things like logging, graphing, and having the ability for the router to automatically backup itself regularly to the non system storage.
I know this sounds backwards and it's a bit off a work around, but could you FTP data off the system storage onto non-system storage?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:36 am

Like you said, CCR is not in the consumer class, so please clarify, what you like to do with the USB storage? Download torrents?

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Not exactly but i noticed that an important feature missing in mikrotik especially when employing in ISPs and critical networks are logging and backing up configs to an external drive. I've noticed that there is logging to remote host but it would require more setting up and isnt always reliable if the remote host has problems.

Statistics, logging, graphing would be a lot better on non system storage. At the moment it really bugs me that logging cant use an external disk. Logging errors and info i use ram because it is bigger than the system disk and less likely to wear out from all the writing but if the CCR reboots or shuts down unexpectedly from errors or power failure than all the information is lost. From my past experience with MIPS based routerboards, more of their packages and system functionality could utilise another storage but they are not as reliable as PPC and TILE based routerboards. Support for FAT16,ext2 (low capacity flash),exFAT and ext4,ntfs for hard drives would help greatly. With the amount of traffic that the CCR handles it can easily fill up the system storage many times logging only crucial things.

Basically i'm asking that the stores functionality be added to CCR. Even implementing metarouter in a single core form per virtual device would help greatly if a multicore TILE based metarouter is too difficult or impossible. Im also hoping to see the dude server functionality added to CCR and not use the system storage. I would like to be able to monitor and log the status of other devices on my network. As long as the mikrotik provided packages can use non system storage i can use scripts to add other features that i want.

Normis i am not able to format devices connected to the CCR even though theres a functionality there for it. Everytime i try it request the drive be ejected first than when i try to format it after that i get the object not found error saying it cannot find the drive.

With metarouter and scripts i could add every functionality i want to the CCR but most importantly all the TILE packages should be able to use non system storage for main functionality if they have a use for disk storage.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:55 pm

logging to external disks is already possible, it is described in the log manual.
graphing which is integrated is only for a quick view, for serious stats, I suggest using SNMP

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:01 pm

yeah but i want the routerboard to put the stats on the disk by itself so i dont always have to keep something else running. I know graphing is approximate but it doesnt require another device to collect the information, store and display it. Exact stats arent exactly important to me however i would like to be able to store the stats from various places such as firewall instead of using logging since routerOS logging cannot handle the amount of traffic the CCR can handle.

logging to external disk is not possible on CCR. i cant find any place to do it unless you mean the filename where you can enter the path as well.

When you make metarouter for multicore routerboards it would be good if the virtual OS can access the external disk too.

and perhaps some networked applications that'd agree with home users such as samba with routerOS accounting/radius. I know many home users that use routerboard for being a much faster and stable platform compared to most of the consumer routers out there. Many functionality can be added through metarouter such as installing openwrt on it. Some higher end consumer routers that have usb3/esata have 3rd party firmware like openwrt that add a lot more functionality but have the most common services on stock such as print server and file sharing. The cheapest i've seen consumer routers do to share storage/device is to reroute a usb device to a particular client but only 1 client can access that device at a time which overcomes limited processing and device support.

I would also like it to be possible to add custom pages so when going to the router's webpage there'll be a section other than webcfg, winbox, graphing to perform other functions such as displaying stats and a few interactive functions that relate to scripts and routerOS API such that i could design my own pages in relation to some scripts to list a set of predefined computers on my network, their status (sleep, shut down, online) and to wake them up and maybe their CPU usage when online. I know you can use snmp for this with a server but the point of using a routerboard is that it would be a lower profile compared to dedicated linux servers even when it comes to routing not to mention quieter than a GPGPU server when turned on. Or perhaps the routerboard could use SNMP/API to monitor other devices in more detail instead in routerOS.

but please do not add parental controls.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:09 pm

I already asked for versatile graphing some time ago. This could be good extension to it.

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:15 pm

If its not too much to ask, CCTV storage/handling through usb/ip would be really cool on mikrotik when coupled with the right routerboard. I hope the upcoming CCRs will have SATAs and more USB, perhaps even PCIe x16 to add network cards or even wifi. I can only imagine adding ASUS PCE-AC68 to it or even some other form of networking such as HDMI.

marrold

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:06 am

CCTV storage/handling through usb/ip would be really cool on mikrotik when coupled with the right routerboard.
Why would I want storage on a router? I dont get it

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:06 am

nowadays a router is more than just a router, it tends to be the central point of a network. Being able to store locally or even remotely on another storage.

KillerOPS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:24 pm

you need a router that is called a NVR or NAS. Pick the one "router" that suits you :)

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:19 pm

I dont expect mikrotik to make dedicated NAS but i do expect to use the same methods for accessing some files, such as web files, logs, data or even cache. The Files program in routerOS isnt really the best choice for managing files and GUI for FTP requires installing a program for it. SAMBA is supported naturally by windows and linux and can be authenticated by user. There also appears to be SAMBA in routerOS but it doesnt really do anything.