Community discussions

MikroTik App

RackKing
Topic Author

Philosophy question..... UTMs?

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:39 pm

We primarily use RB2011 of various flavors in residential systems and some light commercial projects.

Should we consider a UTM as part of our standard package? Does anyone else out here do this? If so do you have a recommendation?

RackKing
Topic Author

Re: Philosophy question..... UTMs?

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Is this a crazy question?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:00 pm

a Router and a UTM are two very different products.

What are you trying to achieve ?

RackKing
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:07 pm

I was asking how many people deploy a UTM with a Mikrotik router. Is there a UTM everyone likes or a go to unit for a small business, restaurant, church, large residential, (not enterprise) that we should consider using? I am wondering if this would be a good standard practice to just do? I know the Mikrotik's can have a solid firewall (when setup properly), should a UTM be a recommended if not required part of a professionally designed network? Again - this is coming from simply a best practice kind philosophy.

jaykay2342

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:53 pm

I was asking how many people deploy a UTM with a Mikrotik router. Is there a UTM everyone likes or a go to unit for a small business, restaurant, church, large residential, (not enterprise) that we should consider using? I am wondering if this would be a good standard practice to just do? I know the Mikrotik's can have a solid firewall (when setup properly), should a UTM be a recommended if not required part of a professionally designed network? Again - this is coming from simply a best practice kind philosophy.
As someone who is working in security in his 9-5 Job and does networking only as a volunteer for a non-profit WISP i can tell you: an UTM is nothing you can sell as a side product. I guarantee you your customers will call you because something is not working. At that point you have to dig deep into that UTM thing to find out what's going on. Those UTM systems always start to block legitimate stuff at some point. For most enterprises it's ok to have an expensive contract with a company to have support from experts once such a problem appears.

danletkeman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:37 am

As someone who is working in security in his 9-5 Job and does networking only as a volunteer for a non-profit WISP i can tell you: an UTM is nothing you can sell as a side product. I guarantee you your customers will call you because something is not working. At that point you have to dig deep into that UTM thing to find out what's going on. Those UTM systems always start to block legitimate stuff at some point. For most enterprises it's ok to have an expensive contract with a company to have support from experts once such a problem appears.
I agree. If you want to set it and forget it, don't put in a UTM. They require constant attention. If a customer want's more than the router/firewall does, put in separate products as needed. Spam filter, etc.