Community discussions

MikroTik App

kotsius
just joined
Topic Author

Queue failure every few days & related issues

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Hello! :)

Queue functionality is critical to our company, so we monitor it every 10s using a script, which sends an e-mail when there seems to be a problem. We use RouterOS v6 (currently 6.23) simple queues on all our LIGs, which are PPPoE interfaces for ADSL and VDSL lines on one RB750, one RB750GL, one RB Groove A-52HPn, three RB2011iL and one high-spec x86. In general, there are different queues for VOIP, SSTP links between our routers, guest user and other internet traffic.

Issue 1: Every few days queues randomly stop working, meaning that no more traffic passes through them. An export of the simple queue settings, their removal and re-import after a short delay fixes the problem (/queue simple; export file=queFix; remove [find]; :delay 9; /import queFix.rsc; :delay 1; /file remove queFix.rsc). Any ideas why this might be happening?

Issue 2: Again, every few days, the top priority queue (= VOIP = minimal traffic = a fraction of parent queue max-limit even when aggregate of other queues’ limit-at is subtracted from it) starts dropping packets. It is my understanding that this should not be happening at all, notwithstanding the fact that actual bandwidth is variable: even if packets were to be dropped after they pass simple queues, this should not happen at the top priority queue if the traffic passing through it is well below its parent’s max-limit. When I export, remove and re-import the simple queue settings as above, the packet dropping in question does not resume. Is there something wrong in my understanding?

Issue 3: Is there a way to periodically measure actual DSL line bandwidth using a script (i.e. without user intervention), to update queue max-limits accordingly? We use different modems and seem to have no automatic access to DSL connection information (line rates etc.).

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks to all. 8)

kotsius
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Queue failure every few days & related issues

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:08 pm

Please mods remove this topic, posted in the wrong place. Sorry!