Community discussions

MikroTik App

vandarith
just joined
Topic Author

forgot admin password

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:50 pm

Dear All,

Would you please to tell me how to reset admin password in the case of we lose or forget admin password?

Best Regards,

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: forgot admin password

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:43 am

Dear All,

Would you please to tell me how to reset admin password in the case of we lose or forget admin password?

Best Regards,
----
Hello,

1. when you lost login admin for userman goto '/tool user-man custom print'
2. when you lost login admin for router, isn't ways to recovery or reset, you must reinstall by netinstall of your router OS.

regards
Hasbullah.com
-----

djape

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:41 pm

there is no way to reset admin password. If you forget the password and not able to login, you must reinstall router from scratch...

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:28 pm

well... nothing you can read about, yes...

are you coming to the MUM?

Best regards,
Christian Meis

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:30 am

I had thought, for some reason, that you could use the serial console and reset back to factory settings from the boot menu..

Am I wrong?

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:41 am

----
:wink:
----

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:40 am

yes, wrong

russman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re:

Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:25 am

yes, wrong
Wow that's rough. I used to be able to do that with Cisco from serial console. I have a business customer that we installed their firewall, their network, their internet, etc and corporate forced all locations to use some use some IT company from the other side of the country (near headquarters) and at one point the IT company got the password from the local branch manager. Once they gave it to them the password was changed and we could no longer manage it for them and the local branch manager was never told what it was changed to. Now corporate fired that IT company and the password they said they changed it to doesn't work...

The last backup we have is 2 years old and doesn't contain more recent IPSec configuration info we need, trying to get corporate to decipher it from their end probably isn't going to happen.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:36 am

A result of correctly implemented security but badly handled management.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:50 am

I suggest to keep regular off-site backups of your working configuration, and always keep a second administrator account so that there is no one person that has access to the important devices.

Easccerty
just joined

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 am

I suggest to keep regular off-site backups of your working configuration, and always keep a second administrator account so that there is no one person that has access to the important devices.
This is a good idea , but the problem remains unsolved ,how to break admin password on Windows ?
Last edited by Easccerty on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:51 pm

bouzine
just joined

Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:50 am

I suggest to keep regular off-site backups of your working configuration, and always keep a second administrator account so that there is no one person that has access to the important devices. Once there is something wrong this the second account, you can reset it with the initial admin account.
It would be great if there was an option to reset admin password. This happens a lot as far as I know
Last edited by bouzine on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:56 pm

You can't reset user password only. This is a security issue. You want somebody to reset your password and then read your user database?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:48 pm

It is of course dependent on the local situation and the purpose of the admin password.
An admin password guards against remote access to the system, preferably only from the local network but some admins allow access from the internet (not a good idea IMHO, but their decision).
In some cases you may also want a guard against local access, e.g. when the router is leased to someone and then remotely managed by yourself, and you do not want access by the customer.
But in other cases, when the router is in a "secure" location (computerroom, but also inside someone's home where there are no people present that are unfriendly to the network), it can be argued that having local access to the hardware should be enough to have admin access and e.g. change the password of an existing installation without resetting configuration.
As RouterOS already has some preventive measures against configuration reset, it could be argued that by default there should be some mechanism that allows password change when having proven local access (e.g. via serial port or by logging in on a LAN short time after powercycle reboot or while keeping switch depressed etc).
That could be the default situation, and there could be some setting to disallow that.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:53 pm

You can make a user with no password, and no rights to "ssh, web, winbox, telnet" only "local" (console). This basically solves your issue.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:21 pm

You can make a user with no password, and no rights to "ssh, web, winbox, telnet" only "local" (console). This basically solves your issue.
That is a good option, but of course that will only work (to solve problems as described above) when it is in the default configuration.