Community discussions

MikroTik App

chadyagh
just joined
Topic Author

can i use pppoe authentication then redirect to hotspot

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:20 pm

i have 300 pppoe client user and i want to redirect them to hotspot database for the sake of prepaid system without each time change pppoe username...same username on pppoe but different username on hotspot each time the account expires

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: can i use pppoe authentication then redirect to hotspot

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 pm

I would not recommend to use PPPoE server and HotSpot together on the same server.

Antixx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:22 am

I would not recommend to use PPPoE server and HotSpot together on the same server.

in the same server? that mean not to have hotspot even on another interface of server?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:52 am

It is fine for different interface.

eigza
just joined

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Why you don't recommend to run PPPoE server and Hotspot on the same server same interface?
It is fine for different interface.
it's mean same server but different interface is fine?

heviejob
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:32 am

Whats the harm in having both on the same interface?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 am

I have the cross question, what is the purpose of having them both on the interface?

PPPoE is more secure and asks client device pre-configuration, but HotSpot offers more features and no configuration on the cliend end.
If there is no problem to configure PPPoE client, then use PPPoE, as username/password authentication is used at the beginning. What is the reason for another login at HotSpot system in this case?

If there are problems to configure PPPoE clients on CPE devices and you need features offered by HotSpot, use HotSpot server.

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:24 am

I'm wondering if the hotspot could be used to answer requests when PPPoE falls through. The hotspot would then redirect to the billing server.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:33 pm

HotSpot can answer, when PPPoE fails. However when PPPoE authentication is successful, PPPoe user should login to HotSpot.

heviejob
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:39 pm

I setup pppoe server on the same interface running hotspot and they can coexist.
Users can opt to login in using pppoe or hotspot and once one authentication
is successful the user is not asked to login using the other.

arulsr
just joined

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm

i already setup my hotspot with 100concurrent user, 50user hotspot using wifi, 50user using cpe (ppoe)
config in same interface..ppoe directly to internet, no login page appear

beepee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:59 pm

As for me, I use both but on different routers
My PPPOE server connects to the clients and my Hotspot server between my border router and PPPOE server
The purpose of my PPPOE is to provide authenticated IP addresses to clients, Clients may be connected to the wireless network but without PPPOE-IP address they cannot do anything meaningful. Another reason is for traffic accounting. PPPOE authenticated users can access local servers freely but once they try to go out of the network (internet) they will be passed to the hotspot server.
this has really helped me to work with users using their IP addresses since it is PPPOE assigned.
Having PPPOE and Hotspot on the same interface does not make much sence and introduces security vulnerabilities.

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Have any one noticed that if you use username/password from the user-manager for the pppoe clients authentication, the same clients can login using pppoe on one machine and login to hotspot on another machine at the same time using that same username?

The only way i have avoid this is to use local username/password created in the winbox.

I think, from my own experience, if the interface can handle the number of clients and their request, i dont think they is any known issue with running both on the same interface as i have been running some of my routers like that for years now!

But running 300 concurrent users on one interface using pppoe and adding hotspot to that same interface might be overloading the interface except if it is a gigabit interface.

To me this is one of the reasons I agreed with sergejs' opinion.

dennyglover
just joined

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:10 am

i use rb20011ax2n,eth1=wan ethr2=hotspot ethr3=pppoe,i have bridged them using a port network switch so that i use one outdoor AP,how best can i avoid using the 5 port switch and merge them directly to the AP
As for me, I use both but on different routers
My PPPOE server connects to the clients and my Hotspot server between my border router and PPPOE server
The purpose of my PPPOE is to provide authenticated IP addresses to clients, Clients may be connected to the wireless network but without PPPOE-IP address they cannot do anything meaningful. Another reason is for traffic accounting. PPPOE authenticated users can access local servers freely but once they try to go out of the network (internet) they will be passed to the hotspot server.
this has really helped me to work with users using their IP addresses since it is PPPOE assigned.
Having PPPOE and Hotspot on the same interface does not make much sence and introduces security vulnerabilities.