bino
Topic Author

Feature Request : Multi user manager synchro

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:33 am

Dear All.

Imagine this case :

We have number of campus network.
In Each network .. there is server farm
we want that every one want to access server, will need to be Authenticated.

If we put the AAA at the "center" : when a link between campus is down, the AAA will failed and user can not go anywhere (Internet and internal server)

If we put UM in each network : we need to duplicate userdatabase in all UM, since user have to able to login from anywhere.

So .. I think the needed solution is UM have tobe able to syncro eachother .. or UM have tobe able to use external database as backend.

If Mikrotik will put feature for external database (i.e: Mysql/PgSQL) ... it will be nice .. we can leave the syncro task to the backend database

Sincerely
-bino-

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Feature Request : Multi user manager synchro

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:24 pm

I do this already with scripts! :-) But I agree that a proper "sync" system is a much better idea.

We have a central UserManager install at our Data centre, but each hotspot is connected directly to internet via their own ADSL. If the central server goes offline, why should customer be disconnected from internet? Of course, as he is an existing customer and hotspot is still connected to internet, they should still continue to use internet without any knowledge that we have an internal problem to fix.

So I export the UM database from central server every hour and download and then import it into the local hotspot a few minutes later.

Local hotspot has two radius settings, first is the IP of the central radius server, second the local one, so if the central one fails to respond, it then tries the local one.

We have had customers still surfing the internet 24 hours after server has died from major hardware problem. Existing customers never even knows. :-)

Of course, if central server dies, then new customers cannot sign up and add credit. So we still have to fix the central server as soon as possible. But it gives us some backup and some time so we do not get stressed out by such an important central device failing.

bino
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:58 am

I do this already with scripts! :-) But I agree that a proper "sync" system is a much better idea.
I'm sure you are really good in scripting.

So ... is it possible to make this feature request as poll ?
Maybe if there is enough requester ... Mikrotik will make it for us

Sincerely
-bino-

maxeschm

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Nest,

what is the way you do that? Backup at central UM Server --> Download via FTP-Client to external PC --> Upload via FTP from external PC to the Hotspots? Is there any way to do that directly from the central UM Server to an other central UM Server (or Hotspot) ?

rg
maxeschm

We have a central UserManager install at our Data centre, but each hotspot is connected directly to internet via their own ADSL. If the central server goes offline, why should customer be disconnected from internet? Of course, as he is an existing customer and hotspot is still connected to internet, they should still continue to use internet without any knowledge that we have an internal problem to fix.

So I export the UM database from central server every hour and download and then import it into the local hotspot a few minutes later.

Local hotspot has two radius settings, first is the IP of the central radius server, second the local one, so if the central one fails to respond, it then tries the local one.

We have had customers still surfing the internet 24 hours after server has died from major hardware problem. Existing customers never even knows. :-)

Of course, if central server dies, then new customers cannot sign up and add credit. So we still have to fix the central server as soon as possible. But it gives us some backup and some time so we do not get stressed out by such an important central device failing.

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:47 pm

UM server has a script that makes a regular backup. AP has a script that runs after that backup time that ftps into the UM server, downloads the latest database previously backed up on the server and imports it into the local UM database on the AP.

The AP has two IPs for the Radius client, first one is the central UM server IP and the second one the IP of itself. So if the connection to the main server is down, the radius client tries the local server on the AP itself and as the database is nearly the same, being only a few minutes old, the user is authenticated and allowed to logon.

Customer happy and none the wiser that our central server is down

maxeschm

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Thx a lot for help...