Community discussions

MikroTik App

3BABY
just joined
Topic Author

User manager to Wireless?

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:40 am

Hi Guys..

im very new to MikroTik and user manager.. as you can see from my other post here http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46823 .. i was just wanting some clarification on something.. i have setup 8 different Access Points.. (not hotspots) and would like user manager to account for the traffic used by these Access Points.. is this going to be possible? also.. as i have set a different dhcp pool for each Access Point will i have to create a "new user" profile if a seccond.. 3rd or 4th person wanted to use that particular Access Point.. or could they just use the same username on multiple connections on that Access Point only? i would prefer to not have to use a user name login setup atall as this could get messy.. is this the best way to solve this problem..? is there just a way to account for the traffic on the 8 different AP's regardless of how many clients are connected? .. i.e.. if one of the people want to connect their xbox to the wireless.. or phone?

3BABY
just joined
Topic Author

Re: User manager to Wireless?

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

ive had a think about it and id like to keep the 8 separate Virtual AP's and somehow allocate a user for each AP so i can do traffic accounting for each "user".. so i need the user to be associated to the AP and Loged in all the time.. for example i need the actual client not to see a login page, for the internet to "just work" for them.. also i need it to "just work" for their friends or collegues that are connected to the same AP.. but all the traffic through that AP to be accounted for.. this way all the client(s) need to do is remember the WPA key for their specific SSID.. is there any way to do this?

any help would be much appreciated :-)

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: User manager to Wireless?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:16 am

> im very new to MikroTik and user manager.. as you can see from my other post
> here http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46823 .. i was just wanting
> some clarification on something.. i have setup 8 different Access Points.. (not > hotspots) and would like user manager to account for the traffic used by these
> Access Points.. is this going to be possible? also..
Yes, it is possible to make accounting only for wireless.
> as i have set a different
> dhcp pool for each Access Point will i have to create a "new user" profile if a > seccond.. 3rd or 4th person wanted to use that particular Access Point.. or
> could they just use the same username on multiple connections on that Access
> Point only?
DHCP does not provide any accounting to the RADIUS
Which username are you talking about?
> i would prefer to not have to use a user name login setup atall as
> this could get messy.. is this the best way to solve this problem..? is there
> just a way to account for the traffic on the 8 different AP's regardless of how > many clients are connected? .. i.e.. if one > of the people want to connect their
> xbox to the wireless.. or phone?
You have to clarify, which of the service you prefer to use.
HotSpot/DHCP/Wireless?

HotSpot does not provide username/password only, there are different kind of authentications, that could be used for xbox/phone etc.