Community discussions

MikroTik App

wtm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Suggestion for User Manager ?

Tue May 24, 2011 5:52 am

I don't know if there is anything already available to do this , but I have been unable to see anything on the website or forum.

It would be nice is User Manager was available as a standalone central server. And it could communicate with other Microtik routers.

Essentially have one central location for User Manager, running the "user" info, the webpage, and processing the payments. This unit could then be in a more secure location, rather than out in the boonies, or at a tower, where it can be easily be taken out with a lightning hit.

The central server would then communicate with all the other router units you have setup as a "System" and get the user data, process it in the central location, and control the remote router user there.

Thanks,
Wayne

siprox
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Suggestion for User Manager ?

Wed May 25, 2011 2:44 am

I don't know if there is anything already available to do this , but I have been unable to see anything on the website or forum.

It would be nice is User Manager was available as a standalone central server. And it could communicate with other Microtik routers.

Essentially have one central location for User Manager, running the "user" info, the webpage, and processing the payments. This unit could then be in a more secure location, rather than out in the boonies, or at a tower, where it can be easily be taken out with a lightning hit.

The central server would then communicate with all the other router units you have setup as a "System" and get the user data, process it in the central location, and control the remote router user there.

Thanks,
Wayne
yes, of course Mikrotik can, you can setup centralized database of user manager on a single running Mikrotik machine, so placing usermanager on tower is not necessary.
have you looking around on this forum or wiki? there a lots of information.

wtm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2011 3:40 am

Does it have to be a Microtik router machine, or can it be a standard computer unit or server, which is what I want to do !

Will that main User manager then talk to all the other router units and manage them from that main unit ?

siprox
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 25, 2011 4:50 am

Does it have to be a Microtik router machine, or can it be a standard computer unit or server, which is what I want to do !

Will that main User manager then talk to all the other router units and manage them from that main unit ?
Depending on you have one, or you want, if you have standard computer you need to install Mikrotik on harddrive or you can buy a dom an installed on it.

if you have another router on your network, you can also connected with that usermanager server, the point is what you need for network is only you know, i suggest you drawing the topology of your network which you want, and then post here, maybe people can help much more.

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:34 am

Depending on you have one, or you want, if you have standard computer you need to install Mikrotik on harddrive or you can buy a dom an installed on it.

if you have another router on your network, you can also connected with that usermanager server, the point is what you need for network is only you know, i suggest you drawing the topology of your network which you want, and then post here, maybe people can help much more.
I think what siprox is asking is if the Usermanager can be developed to be able to act as a stane alone package ie have its own booting system so that when you start it, it boots to user manager straight.

If I am correct, I will say this is needless as User manager is just a package (an applet) runing on RouterOS. If it is being isolated, there will be request for alot of others to be isolated into a stand alone package, beside the OS is a small package so, runing User Manager on it has no disadvantage to me if it is only user manager you are intrested in.