Community discussions

MikroTik App

tomtom80
Topic Author

UM on CF-drive - many sector writes - is that a problem?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 am

Hallo,

We have installed User Manager (v.5.4) on a compact flash drive on our RB1000. We have about 3 million sector writes a day.

Is this a problem or a lifetime risk for the compact flash drive?

Is there a way to reduce ssector writes?

UM updates the session of the clients every minute. I try to reduce this with Interim Update on the pppoe-servers, but this settings seems to have no effect. I can set Interim Update to 10 minutes and the session updates still at 1 minute.

Is there an other way to reduce session updates with UM v5.4 ?

Are there other options to reduce sector writes or are the 3 million writes a day no problem?!?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by tomtom80 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zervan

Re: UM on CF-drive - many sector writes - is that a problem?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 pm

You may try to disable logging: using web interface of userman, menu Routers, click on router. I did this just today, because I'm testing UM on RB750G, which doesn't have memory card slot and I don't like to rewrite internal flash memory. I will watch this discussion, because I'm interested as well.

If it is possible to limit sector writes enough, I would buy RB1200 (L6) as User Manager master router (it doesn't have memory card, neither USB as well). If not, I would prefer RB450G, but it has L5 only :( RB1000 is L6 and has memory card, but... is too expensive - I need it for not very rich school :(

tomtom80
Topic Author

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 pm

You may try to disable logging: using web interface of userman, menu Routers, click on router.
I log only failures. So there about 10 logs a day. So this won't reduce the memory writes.. :-(

zervan

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:45 pm

I log only failures. So there about 10 logs a day. So this won't reduce the memory writes.. :-(
I have had a lot of them, because I'm using also MAC authentification - okay, it's not your case.

And what about radius-interim-update value? (see /ip hotspot profile print)
You have mentioned some Inherit for PPPoE, but what for Radius?
I've tried to set it to 1 hour and I will see... I didn't find out what default value is.

tomtom80
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:00 pm

And what about radius-interim-update value? (see /ip hotspot profile print)
I don't have installed hotspot package. So I can't change this value.
You have mentioned some Inherit for PPPoE, but what for Radius?
I have pppoe-servers which use the User Manager as radius. In the pppoe-srevers I change the value Interim Update (in Winbox - PPP -> Secrets -> ppp Authentication & Accounting). But when I change this value to for example to 30 minutes the updates at the UM are still at 1 minute.

On my RB1000 where the UM is installed I don't find a value to change the interim update time.

Which side das decide how often to update? Does the RADIUS (UM) tell how often to update the session information or does the client of the RADIUS (in my case my pppoe-server on an RB750G) decide how often to update?!?

zervan

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Now I understand - we are in different situation.
Which side das decide how often to update? Does the RADIUS (UM) tell how often to update the session information or does the client of the RADIUS (in my case my pppoe-server on an RB750G) decide how often to update?!?
I haven't found this on UM, but have found it in hotspot server profile (it means - client of Radius) and it is working for me (using hotspot).
But I don't see this option in PPPoE server.

tomtom80
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:25 pm

I haven't found this on UM, but have found it in hotspot server profile (it means - client of Radius) and it is working for me (using hotspot).
But I don't see this option in PPPoE server.
Do you use User Manager v5.4 or an older version?

zervan

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:29 pm

Do you use User Manager v5.4 or an older version?
Version 5.5 - I've upgraded yesterday and didn't try to change Inherit interval in previous 5.4.

tomtom80
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Are there other options to reduce sector writes or are the 3 million writes a day no problem?!?
There ist the answer of my question...
sectorwrites.JPG
117 million sectorwrites and 0.2% bad blocks in about 5 weeks. So 3 million sector writes a day are too much and I had to stop using User Manager on an CF Drive.

Is there no way to reduce the sector writes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.