wingsoft
just joined
Topic Author

User Traffic Shaping

Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi,
2 question:
FIRST:
We have 1 "Customer" configured in Mikrotik.
We wish to assign to each user created in the Hotspot specific values about bandwith.
Such as: Guaranteed and Maximum

Example: user1 : Maximun Bandwith : 1MB - Guaranteed : 256k

Now we set the values: "Rate limit" in the userman web interface... its' right?
Where can I set the MAXIMUM bandwith?

Example of actual configuration:
rx-rate[/tx-rate] - 256k [/256k]
rx-burst-rate[/tx-burst-rate]
rx-burst-threshold[/tx-burst-threshold]
[rx-burst-time[/tx-burst-time]
rx-rate-min[/tx-rate-min]

SECOND:
It's possible to create a "Group" with bandwith shaping in order to inherit to member users without editing each single one?

Thank you very much for your help!

dbs
just joined

Re: User Traffic Shaping

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Wingsoft,

I don't have any experience with the UserMan web interface... but that said Router OS bandwidth shaping is easily accomplished through Simple Queues (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Qu ... ple_Queues). Simple queues allows you to target specific IPs and set both “limit-at” and “max-limit” as you ask in Q1.

As far as setting a bandwidth limit of 1 MB that would go pretty fast in today's world, however what I think you're asking is for a statistical bandwidth shaper that would dynamically change speeds based upon usage. Router OS doesn't support this feature directly, but you could accomplish this by writing scripts to collect data and modify queues based upon usage. This however would put additional burden on your router(s) not to mention the difficulty in management. Another solution would be our Dynamic Bandwidth Shaper which tracks usage by subscriber IP's using Simple Queues, and then adjusts said queues based upon a tiered service model. This type of solution addresses both of your questions.

Best,