MikroTik App

beepee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Userman and CPU usage

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:50 am

I have a 450G router serving as PPPOE concentrator and Userman
I have noticed that most operations in userman often result in 100% CPU utilisation
Hence, whenever I am working on userman users will not be able to dial-in PPPOE
This is so frustrating as users always complains that they cannot login.
Right now I am confused.
I am thinking of removing the userman service from that router and placed in an x86 sytem but if I have to do that, I will rather try RadiusManager.

isaacu
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Userman and CPU usage

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:18 am

Couple Questions.
What version of ROS?
How many Users?
What Level?

I had a similar issue and I did eventually offload my User Manager to an x86 box just for User manger/hotspot radius. I also had this problem when I upgraded to 5.7. Instead of installing the individual packages I upgraded to the 5.7 (with all packages) in one npk file. That for some reason fixed the CPU issue. Also, I know there is a limit on how many sessions can be active at once on user manage unless you are using ROS level 6. Level 5 will not authenticate anymore than 50 and level 4 will only allow 20, etc. This could be part of your problem.

Our current system is working great.
x86 system with Usermanager/payment gateway running on it and several RBs running as hotspots. Customers can sign themselves up for time and create their own usernames/passwords and away they go.
I have heard people do similar things with freeradius, but I decided to go this direction. We also manage our PPPOE DSL customers with user manager.

beepee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:49 pm

What version of ROS? = 5.6
How many Users? over 2000 registered users in UsermaN with an average of 200 active pppoe clients
What Level? = 5
Active PPPOE limit for level 5 is 500 not 50.
Couple Questions.
What version of ROS?
How many Users?
What Level?

I had a similar issue and I did eventually offload my User Manager to an x86 box just for User manger/hotspot radius. I also had this problem when I upgraded to 5.7. Instead of installing the individual packages I upgraded to the 5.7 (with all packages) in one npk file. That for some reason fixed the CPU issue. Also, I know there is a limit on how many sessions can be active at once on user manage unless you are using ROS level 6. Level 5 will not authenticate anymore than 50 and level 4 will only allow 20, etc. This could be part of your problem.

Our current system is working great.
x86 system with Usermanager/payment gateway running on it and several RBs running as hotspots. Customers can sign themselves up for time and create their own usernames/passwords and away they go.
I have heard people do similar things with freeradius, but I decided to go this direction. We also manage our PPPOE DSL customers with user manager.

Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:44 pm

PC is only solution for User manager service
also fast hard disk because after restart waiting is long