MikroTik App

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

How to make User Manager work with PayPal Sandbox

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:14 am

INTRODUCTION

PayPal provides a "sandbox" environment in which developers can debug the use of PayPal by new applications (like your new hotspot/UM facility) without making a bunch of real-world credit-card transactions.

In general, I find that User Manager is a complex subsystem which is vastly under-documented. I wasted way too much time trying to use the PayPal sandbox to test my new hotspot/UM facility because of some hidden backdoors in UM that make it fail every time. I thought I would take the time to post some notes describing how I finally made it work, from a more task-oriented focus that the general UM documentation, so that others can benefit from it.

PAYPAL SANDBOX SETUP

Obviously, any instructions as to where to find links on PayPal's website will be obsoleted whenever PayPal decides to reorganize their website. They're certainly different today than they were two years ago, which was the last time I tried to do this.

Go to developer.paypal.com and log in using your existing business ID. Go to Applications. Ignore the two apparent choices (REST and Classic). Instead, go to the left-hand column and click "Sandbox accounts."

You will need at least two sandbox accounts: a business account with the same name as your real business account (or whatever name you will be making actual payments to later), and an account for your test hotspot user to use to make payments to the other account. You have to go through pretty much every screen to create each account as you would for a real PayPal account, especially the business account.

I found I had to create the business account as a personal account first, then "upgrade" it to a business account (because the pages to create a business account directly were dead-ends). You could type in any set of numbers for a bank account to get verified, but not so for a credit card. (Later I found that the sandbox issued the account a couple of phony credit cards, but you had to go to the account area and look for them.)

You will have to get all your phony accounts right before you start testing! If you don't, you can end up making payments to an email address that has not been properly set up to receive payments. PayPal marks these as successful but "unilateral" payments, meaning that they have not yet been delivered to a recipient because the recipient does not yet have an account in the proper state to receive them. User Manager doesn't consider unilateral payments as successful, and so it will create no hotspot user accounts. It's worth testing the payment process in the sandbox outside UM to make sure payments show up at the recipient before you start testing a hotspot system.

As soon as you have created the account, and before upgrading, take the time to visit your setting page and set your email preferences to plain text -- if you leave it on HTML (the default), you will receive "sandbox mail" messages consisting of undecipherable BASE64-type garbage that simply cannot be read. Since part of the process of upgrading to a business account involves responding to "mail" asking you to click a link or enter a code to verify your email address -- which mail will be unreadable -- you will effectively have ruined your sandbox account in a way that will require PayPal's assistance to address.

The sandbox gives you the opportunity to preload your test hotspot user's account with "phony cash" -- take it, so you can avoid typing phony credit card data on every test to make a "payment."

USER MANAGER SETTINGS FOR PAYPAL

("ROUTER" is shorthand for the DNS name or IP address of your router running User Manager.)

This section is valid for both the sandbox and the production environment of PayPal. References to web page form fields are as they appear in ROS 5 or 6.

Although you can (and must) create a few initial User Manager data items in /tool/user-manager (other guides in the wiki explain how to do this), most of the data items are set by accessing the web forms at http://ROUTER/userman.

Start in Settings / Payment Gateways. Enable PayPal. Enter the email address for the account to which you want payments sent. The "return URL" is NOT PayPal's "notify_url", which PayPal uses to report the transaction to UM -- it is the page a new user will be sent to after completing his payment transaction.

The actual "notify_url" is set in the Customer record, and is called "Public host." PayPal will accept either a DNS name or a numeric IP here. It will verify the transaction by POSTing a form to http(s)://{that-value}/user?… Make sure that http(s)://{that-value}/user is accessible from the internet so PayPal can access it.

(One random note: the field "Name for Users" in the Profile settings is documented as "Descriptive name for the Profile that is displayed to the end user when they login to their user page." I thought the user would see this string in the signup page, but the regular Name field shows up instead. The "Name for Users" field does appear in the invoice that PayPal mails the hotspot user.)

USER MANAGER TRANSACTION FLOW

When a new hotspot user uses the PayPal pay screen to pay for a new account, PayPal posts a form to http(s)://{customer-public-host-value}/user?… telling UM that the payment succeeded, failed, or whatever.

If PayPal indicates success, UM double-checks that the message actually came from PayPal by making an https query directly to http://www.paypal.com to check the status of that payment. This double-check transaction is undocumented, and in normal operation is invisible to you. If PayPal validates the payment, then UM creates the hotspot user account; otherwise, it puts a line in the log that the message was not valid. This double-check confounds any attempt to use the sandbox unless you understand how to finesse it.

MAKING THE SANDBOX WORK

Once you have all your phony accounts set up properly in PayPal's sandbox, you can redirect all UM's new-account payment activity to the sandbox simply by editing one line in um/signup_pay_form.html. Change the line

html code

<form name="payform" action="$(url)" method="post">
to

html code

<!-- <form name="payform" action="$(url)" method="post">  -->
<form name="payform" action="https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
Now you will see all new account sign-up pages routed to the sandbox instead of the live PayPal site.

You will also have to make one more change: because of the double-check that UM performs when it receives a payment posting from PayPal, your payments will all fail until you create a static DNS entry on the UM router for http://www.paypal.com, containing the current IP address of "sandbox.paypal.com". This will make UM's double-check go to the sandbox as well, verifying and completing the transaction.

There's a big corollary to this workaround: your test version of UM must be run on a separate router from any actual production users. Obviously, redirecting all traffic meant for the real http://www.paypal.com to the PayPal sandbox would disrupt the activities of live users. Only UM itself should be exposed to the "poisoned" DNS. For my sandbox testing, I run UM on a dedicated RB750 that does nothing else.

I hope this helps anyone trying to debug a new hotspot setup with PayPal billing.

zingapaga
just joined

Re: How to make User Manager work with PayPal Sandbox

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:35 pm

I am facing problem in paypal invoicing. I am embedding it into my invoice code but unable to get success.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 am

Instead of hijacking this thread, which is a tutorial, try creating a new thread with your problem. Also, don't expect much help from others unless you provide much more detail about your problem than you gave here (which was for all purposes none).

raptorx
just joined

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Thank you for the tutorial! I wanna ask do I still need SSL certificate (signed?) for sandbox because after a successful payment user manager keeps the profile inactive and its status "waiting" which turns into "time out" after some time. I hope it's good to post on your topic because it can help someone using your method.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:10 pm

It's been a while since I've done this testing, but if I remember correctly, the PayPal sandbox gives you the option to run over straight http for sandbox testing, without security certificates of any kind. At least it did when I wrote this. Of course, when you go live, you'll want to provide a certificate, but when you're trying to debug the payment processing mechanism in UM, it's nice to be able to worry about only one thing at a time.

raptorx
just joined

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 pm

Alright, I isolated the problem. It's not a certificate problem. I misread the part about setting a Public Host address in Customer details section. I had my local address put there so paypal couldn't connect to it. Now I've linked my local and public addresses, so I'm able to log in my router from the Internet with my public IP. I've put it on Public Host... but when I make a test payment (I get to the stage of successful payment and my test seller account gets the money) everything hangs. My router becomes impossible to reach (I'm kicked out of winbox) the Hotspot networks stops and after restarting (with plugging out the power) the account is still not activated and gets "time out" after some time. Everything else works fine, any idea why is this hanging happening? I linked my addresses by simply adding my public IP to ether1 port, do I have to use some NAT rules? But it works anyway ...

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:24 pm

You can't reference your WAN IP from within your LAN without adding a "hairpin NAT." Google: miktotik hairpin nat.

xtaticated
just joined

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Sorry to resurrect this, but at this point, I've tried everything and there's only one thing that I have a problem with. Once I hit submit to go to paypal payment page, instead of display the normal checkout page with the price, I am redirected to https://paypalmanager.sandbox.paypal.com/login.do, which would be the account overview. What could it be?? Thanks!