Community discussions

MikroTik App

pavlo
just joined
Topic Author

RB951UI-2HND with two Internet(WAN) connections

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Hello

I'm using RB951UI-2HND Mikrotik router. It works fine after some initial setup, but now it appears, that I need to use second Internet provider line for reliability. I find Mikrotik have PCC feature that looks like should help with it. Just one thing I cannot get how to setup my router with web interface so it will take two internet connections (WAN) and use other ports with WiFi for LAN. Can somebody point me to some manual?

P.S. I not sure about PCC. If there exist any simpler feature it would be nice too.

razortas

Re: RB951UI-2HND with two Internet(WAN) connections

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:28 am

www.mikrotik.com/wiki - You have 5 ethernet ports - any of them can be used for any type of connection.

pavlo
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:52 am

Thanks for your reply, but could you, please, be more specified. Where you find info about any links can be used for any connection type? The URI you send looks same as help on my router web admin panel. Here http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... figuration I found:
- Connect ethernet wire from your internet service provider (ISP) to port ether1, rest of the ports on the router are for local area network (LAN). At this moment, your router is protected by default firewall configuration so you should not worry about that;
- Connect LAN wires to the rest of the ports.
As you see here is stated just one port will be used for internet connection. But after some time with google I find opposite opinions, but only on some forum threads. Where can I find manual about that?

By the way, I posted on this forum question about issue with port 53, and on my router all ports on WAN initially was open for connections from world. Also web interface was open to world with blank admin password. So It obvious that initial configuration was not secure, and needed improvements to be done by user.

All these leads me to think manual we talk about is outdated or not relevant. Am I mistaken somewhere or use wrong paragraph?

Also in that manual I find a page named PCC http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC, and there config examples looks like this:
/ip firewall mangle add chain=prerouting action=mark-connection \
new-connection-mark=1st_conn per-connection-classifier=src-address-and-port:3/0
new-connection-mark=2nd_conn per-connection-classifier=src-address-and-port:3/1
new-connection-mark=3rd_conn per-connection-classifier=src-address-and-port:3/2
I have no idea how can I apply this text config with router web admin panel? Am I need some other interface like ssh?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:56 am

No. You need to learn a lot or to have someone experienced by hand.

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:23 am

PCC is what you need. It work, and works very well. (I use it to load balance two 100M links at home)

That said - it is not an easy setup. There is no "one size fits all" config that you can use. The basics are on that page linked, it is exactly what I used to setup mine. However, you will need to learn and understand RouterOS because you will be able to adapt it to your situation.

Basic steps...
1) separate two ports from the switch group for use as WAN (you already have one, just need a second)
2) set static IP or dhcp client for second WAN
3) setup NAT rules for outbound NAT on both WAN ports
4) setup Mangle rules to mark connections to be routed to each WAN
5) setup routes for each connection mark, and backup routes for when a link goes down
6) setup static routes for services that will not tollerate public IP switching
7) if DHCP - setup a script that will correct the WAN subnet & gateways when your public IP changes
8) setup filter rules for incoming and outgoing WAN traffic

If you didn't understand any of those - then you have a lot of reading to do.
I'm sure this isn't the answer you wanted, but it the answer you need to hear.