Community discussions

MikroTik App

p4rv33n
Topic Author

Server IP Has been blacklisted by spamhuas!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:17 pm

HI all,

Spamhuas is blacklisted my server public IP at that time i don't know about it. In current days our one customer facing issue about Sony playstation game server is not working via Our internet. Then he registered a compliant about it after some troubleshooting we find it was happend to Blacklisted public IP. So we change the public Ip and problem has been solved.

But question here, is it will happen again? As per my R&D, it will be. So may be that problem is arises due one of our clients sending Spam Mail to outside world via our internet service, & IP blacklisted

We need to prevent this in future, so i dig more and find we need to create a own SMTP server so that each mail will go though us our server through smtp domain with authentication/passwords.
All spam mails and virus will filtered by Smtp server.

But main question is, how can i achieve that still i don't know anything about it. We have 1000 customers.
All i need is your advise and guidelines. Thanks in advance

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Server IP Has been blacklisted by spamhuas!

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:00 am

Spamhaus is indeed listing IP addresses that are sending spam mail. Still puzzled what this has to do with a game server.
As long as your customers are able to send spam mail through your public IP addresses you can be sure that it will be listed.

Easiest solution, block port 25 out. Why would your customer like to send mail through your server? THey should use their mail server instead.
And you might have to wonder why you are trying to answer this question.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Forcing users to use your SMTP server is nonsense. That might have worked ten years ago, but not today with SPF, paranoid spamfilters and such.

Blocking port 25 (smtp) on the other hand could work. I'm not fan of blocking anything, but regular users do not really need smtp port, because they should be sending their mail to port 587 (submission). The main difference between smtp and submission is that the latter always requires authentication, so it can't be misused for sending spam to random servers. Smtp port should be used only by mail servers, so unless some of your customers runs one, they can live without it.

In practice, you'll get some complaints, because people still use smtp port very often. Mainly because it usually works too and they are used to it. Some backward servers might not even support submission (even though original RFC is from 1998), but hopefully they should be rare now.

p4rv33n
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks to all for suggestion, i did block port 25 SMTP.
But again account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com is blocked. This time Public IP is not blacklisted by Spamhaus.org. Showing error Access denied.
It's really frustrating, i can't see any problem there. Any suggestion you all can provide in this issue.
I thinks This problem is common to all ISP as i can see on google search engine.

p4rv33n
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 am

I did changed IP again, and now its working.
Is there any way or some setup or server like 3rd party firewall to track it down my customer who is doing this.
I thing it will be possible if we now customer local IPs.

Any suggestion you guys?