Community discussions

MikroTik App

DyJohnnY
just joined
Topic Author

SOHO WIFI for multiy story house

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:49 am

Hi,

I am helping a friend build his SOHO network. After some research I decided to go for Microtik devices.
I have most of the ethernet design sorted out, now I am looking at setting up the wrireless part.

In terms of clients the entire infrastructure should support 2 SSIDs - 1 for employees, 1 for guests.
For the employee SSID - there is an estimate of 10 laptops and 15 mobile devices.
The guest SSID should support ~ 15 mobile devices

The office is a concrete and brick masonry building (basement, ground floor, floor 1, floor 2, attic). THE ISP connection comes in at the attic level (weird, but ok).

My idea was to use these devices, and leverage CAPSMan to control them consistently.
Attic Level:
1 x RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT - used as aggregation point for all ethernet connections (3 switches), router, and CAPS manager, default gateway for the entire office

2nd Level
1 x RBWAPG-5HACT2HND - used as Access Point - connected to one of the ethernet switches going up to the attic level

Ground floor
1 x RBWAPG-5HACT2HND - used as Access Point - connected to a large 24 port ethernet switch on ground floor.

Basement

1 x RBWAP2ND - used as acess point - connected to large 24 port ethernet switch on the ground floor

My question are

A - Will the RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT router on the attic be sufficient to properly manage the 3 access points? Do I need a more powerful device? Is the RB2011UiAS-2HnD a better choice?
B - Is there a problem if the APs are not directly connected to the RB962, but via a switch, which might not be Microtik branded?
C - Would it be worth using RB750Gr3 instead of RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT and relying on the 2nd floor AP for Wifi?

gustavomam
Trainer
Trainer

Re: SOHO WIFI for multiy story house

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 am

Hi DjJohnny

Let me answer your questions

A.- In terms of performance and functionality RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT is much better than RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN. In my opinion you have better test results in traffic, 2 excellent wlan interfaces with Triple chain each.
B.- There is not problem, Capsman will work in Layer 2 or Layer 3
C.- I dont't think RB750Gr3 is a good choice for this implementation, if you have a routerboard with wlan interface would be more flexible to improve your WIFI coverage.

soonwai
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Agreed with gustavomam on all points except that I'd go with RB750Gr3 as the router. It's cheaper and more powerful than the RB962UiGS. If you ever need wifi in the attic the wAP AC from the 2nd floor should cover it.

darkprocess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:18 pm

What internet thoughput are you expecting?

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk

DyJohnnY
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:42 am

It should be general internet usage. The current ISP contract states 200Mbps - metropolitan access.