Community discussions

MikroTik App

daza
just joined
Topic Author

Problem with SSH client

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi all!

I'm a new RouteOS user, using a RouterBoard750GL as router at home.

I thought it would be nice to be able to use the RB as SSH-jumpgate towards my Linux-computer on the LAN, so that I 1) dont have to have them open towards Internet 2) mock around with port-mappings...

However, I have problems connection to my desktop-machine using the /system ssh client in ROS. It works connection to other SSH-servers on my LAN, and others on Internet.

ROS is version 5.6 and the SSH server is openSSH 5.8p1.

Have anyone else had simillar problems?
The symtom is that when I connect to the server, nothing happens, nothing shows in the log on the server. No timeout, nothing. Looking at the log with higher log-verbose, theres nothing different between the ROS-client, and another openssh-client on the LAN, apart from the identified client-version. and the fact that the openssh-client gets a prompt, asking for username/passwd.

If I connect from ROS with invalid username, that is the only thing showing in the log on the server, nothing else...

I guess there is a problem with the ROS ssh implementation? or that this version o open-ssh cant cope with it...

Would be nice though to know if anyone else has this problem...

/Daniel

tjc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Problem with SSH client

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:53 am

daza
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Problem with SSH client

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:15 am

I found the issue, seemed to be a situation of conflict regarding passwd/key-based auth, that apparently the client in ROS couldnt understand, but openss-clients and PuTTY could handle it..

a well, guess I learnd how to configure sshd correctly then :P

/Daniel