Community discussions

MikroTik App

enjoy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

email client doesn't works with hotspot

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:35 pm

I have 4.2 routeros, with hotspot active. The problem is that email clients like outlook don't work. both in receiving and sending email i have "server error".
If i disable hotspot it all works!

Please help me.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: email client doesn't works with hotspot

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:33 pm

user have to log in into hotspot to be able to access, if not logged in, no access to resources outside walled garden

mk0000

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:17 am

I have the same problem but i will use a transparent hotspot. The user doesnt log into the hotpsot.
What can I do? (http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34336)

jherrick
just joined

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:50 pm

You can try smtp port redirecting to put it on an unauthenticated smtp server. This will have to be set up yourself, as most isp provide secure smtp that is only accessable to local address pools of the provider itself with proper authentication. (i.e. users from one isp using a different isp network cant access smtp serve.) Very common in hotspot users setups, as there is a good chance their provider is not the same as yours.

Wish mikrotik would put in an smtp authentication, as of today, we just tell our users to use their web based client to view emails... as we dont want to manage a potential spam station on our network.

Jason

EDIT: Actually after rereading, i missed that it works with hotspot disabled. Maybe you have smtp redirecting incorrectly?

mk0000

Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Thank you for your answer.
I have all default settings.
How could it be?
I usually redirect nothing more ....

eneimi

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:47 pm

It should work straight out of the box. You probably have multiple times already, but look over your hotspot settings one more time.
I'm accessing my mail from Evolution and my pc is behind a repeater that's behind a ROS4.2 hotspot server. It just works! I only ran the hotspot setup wizard with default settings (ip address of smtp server=0.0.0.0), that was it.