Community discussions

MikroTik App

davizo70
Topic Author

Assighn priorities

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:21 am

Hello,
I'd like to Assighn different priorities to different services ro allow light users faster traffic and to make heavy users stay just after them. P2P traffic must be satisfied the last . Say, I have 10 custommers. I want to assighn priority 8 to P2P, priority 7 to file downloading and the hiest priority to other protocols. How can I do this using simple queues?

davizo70
Topic Author

Re: Assighn priorities

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:35 pm

I think this question has the following solution: Just create simple queue 1 with priority 8, assighn to it P2P traffic; Create simple queue 2 with priority 7, assighn to it marked packets that represent port 21(FTP). All other traffic will go with the highest priority.

alginne

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:57 pm

hello
what this priority mean? and what is the use.. in Userman.

davizo70
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:45 pm

With priority assighnment, you can define which traffic will be executed first.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 pm

The p2p matcher in RouterOS is out of date and won't match a lot of the more modern protocols. If you try to keep up and match everything p2p, it is an endless battle and one that you will spend a ton of time, effort, and money on.

The easier solution is to just identify the "good" kinds of traffic, and once you have identified what you classify as good, assume everything else is bad and take appropriate steps. For example things that are easy to define, like an HTTP download less than 1MB is more than likely someone just browsing the internet, therefore that connection is good. Where as if that HTTP download grows to be bigger than 1MB, chances are it's someone downloading a file, streaming, etc. so that connection is not as important.

Once you have your traffic classified, set up a queue tree that will take this into account. In a queue tree you specify a minimum amount of bandwidth that something is guaranteed, and the maximum amount of bandwidth you want that class to receive. Priority in there defines what sub-queue will reach max-limit first if there is free bandwidth.