Community discussions

MikroTik App

confiarus
just joined
Topic Author

Can't login using winbox after a few days from Windows XP

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:28 am

Router Version: RouterOS 4.16 with paid license.

The ProblemI setup RouterOS 4.16 on an x86 computer (P4 1.6GHZ processor). Its setup simply as a basic AP connected my network router. When I first set it up, everything works ok with wireless connections, and I can log on using "winbox" as well. So you know, I have admin access on the Windows XP box.

A few days later, even though wireless connections are working ok, I can't login to it using winbox. Tried it from multiple computers on the network, and still can't login. When trying to login at the console, I type in "admin" as user, but, the screen never goes to password prompt. It just keeps bringing back the username prompt with no error shown.

In any case, I wiped the hard drive clean on the computer and re-installed RouterOS without any hitch. Once again, after I installed it, wireless connections work ok, and I'm able to login using "winbox". I also backed up the config without a problem. 4 days later, once again, I'm able to connect wirelessly, but, can't login using "winbox".

Error Info
When trying to login using IP address, a dialog box pops up and has: "Logging in <ip address>(port 8291)", then it changes to "Logging in <ip address>(port 0). Then, it errors out with error message: Couldn't connect to <ip address>:80.

When trying to login using MAC address, a dialog box pops up with: "Logging in <mac_address>(port 20561)" . After about 25 seconds it errors out with a message: "Router has been disconnected".

Any help would be appreciated.

laithmikrotik

Re: Can't login using winbox after a few days from Windows X

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 am

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Winbox
i think the subject above will help you

confiarus
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks for reply, but, it doesn't help.

I've also removed "winbox.exe" from my computer and removed all config files (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Mikrotik\Winbox\), downloaded "winbox.exe" again and ran, but, still same problem.

rajamani779
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Hello,

Port 80 error comes when you not login on hotspot with your username and password usually. In second you tell about the MAC Address connecting. but you still facing this problem.

i suggest you to connect from any SSH tool like putty. if connection made successfully then you can do everything from terminal.