Community discussions

MikroTik App

flingin
just joined
Topic Author

Noob Bought 435G + 2x R52n-M

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:40 am

After my WNR3500L failed just because it wanted to, without any warning, i decided to go higher.

I had enough of multiple restarts and so on.....but otherwise than this it was kind of OK.....because Tomato allowed me to do some QOS....i was kind of happy that i could do some online gaming and my GF could watch Youtube ect without interrupting me.....until the router would freeze....and die....i had enough.

I work for a computer company, and i do know how many WiFi routers we change, because they just ......burn....freeze...loose connection etc. Cheap $50 Piece of crap.

So i asked my fellow friend who works deep within WiFi networks

''What to do''

He replied, ''Get yourself a MikroTik''

He showed me 433, but i got 435G, just because i had money, and i know, sometimes i will spend 50$ on drinking, or go to a restaurant with my GF times 4 a month = $200

so MikroTik is not such an expensive afterall.....well invested money i would say..

My frined configured it for me via TeamViewer, i assembled it, after all i am not a total noob, just MikroTik noob.

It works like a charm, my friend will give me a tutorial on how to configure it so i will know more in the future on ''how to''

Only thing is....the case i bought looks like this:
http://www.cyberbajt.pl/produkt/4844/ob ... b435g.html

there is a space for a 50mm Fan, do i really need to put a fan in there ?

Does it gets hot ?

Should i change the stock radiators ?....i have some premium copper Zalman radiators.....that i could put in there.....

i know i know, some of you gonna say...what a noob, yes, i understand, but this device is like a baby for me now, i want it to have blue LED faan so it will look cool :)

any suggestions ? please fell free to post, even if the first 3 words will have to be ''noob noob noob''

dancho
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Noob Bought 435G + 2x R52n-M

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:15 pm

I have seen many of these in a simple plastic boxes outside on a various temperatures without fan installed and so far (two years since I am with mikrotik) no problem with temperature been noticed.

However you can install that blue led fun just beause of the light. :D

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:21 pm

you should not worry about temperatures at all even with default heatsinks.

flingin
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 am

And how to overclock it to 800MHz ?

flingin
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 am

Just done this:
[admin@MikroTik] > system routerboard settings print baud-rate: 115200 boot-delay: 2s enter-setup-on: any-key boot-device: nand-if-fail-then-ethernet cpu-frequency: 680MHz boot-protocol: bootp enable-jumper-reset: yes force-backup-booter: no silent-boot: no

[admin@MikroTik] > system routerboard settings set cpu-frequency=800 [admin@MikroTik] > system routerboard settings print baud-rate: 115200 boot-delay: 2s enter-setup-on: any-key boot-device: nand-if-fail-then-ethernet cpu-frequency: 800MHz boot-protocol: bootp enable-jumper-reset: yes force-backup-booter: no silent-boot: no

800MHz :)

why they do not make overclocking so easy on regular PC's ? :)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:47 pm

for overclock to take effect you need to reboot the router.

flingin
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:52 am

Yes i have restarted it just after that, works like a charm...

anyways, i noticed something, does QOS needs to be configured ?

on my old modem/router there was no QOS, when my girlfriend started to watch YouTube, i always experienced latency spikes like 150-300+ms

On this 435G without even configuring it, i have no lags is games no matter what i do, i can start downloading, my GF can watch YouTube, and my latency will go as far as to low ~80ms (normal ~50ms)

is this beauty have some basic QOS already pre-configured ?

anyways to the MikroTik Team - RESPECT !