Community discussions

MikroTik App

csaunders72
just joined
Topic Author

Introduction to RouterOS documentation

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi,

I've just bought my first MikroTik box (hAP lite) but I'm somewhat unsure of what to do next ...

The Wiki appears to be a fairly extensive resource but it's a bit terse to a newcomer. So, I'm looking for some documentation that would serve as an good introduction to RouterOS. Something that explains the key concepts and elements to provide a basis to understanding the Wiki. I'm a software dev and I understand the very basics of networking.

Appreciated in advance

Colin

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Introduction to RouterOS documentation

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:55 pm

Awesome, suggest you fly to Latvia (for a vacation) and help write decent documentation for the Wiki that addresses the non-IT trained person in setting up their equipment. The documentation is sufficient to get one up and running (as is the default setup) but as soon as you start to implement changes, the lack of IT acumen closes the door in your face right quick. Without these forums I would have been completely bamboozled and gone back to zyxel routers. All to say, have patience, learn a little, try stuff, ask questions, rinse and repeat. :-)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:57 pm

csaunders72, welcome to the complex and powerful world of MikroTik

do not fear, the bost basic stuff is in the web interface "QUICKSET" tab and if you do not go elsewhere, your home router can be set up with just that page. venture further only if you want to learn. you can start here, search by topic https://www.youtube.com/user/mikrotikrouter/playlists

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:59 pm

@csaunders72,

Pull up a chair and plan to stay awhile here in the forums. The documentation makes perfect sense, after several years of using the products. : - )

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:07 pm

csaunders72, welcome to the complex and powerful world of MikroTik

do not fear, the bost basic stuff is in the web interface "QUICKSET" tab and if you do not go elsewhere, your home router can be set up with just that page. venture further only if you want to learn. you can start here, search by topic https://www.youtube.com/user/mikrotikrouter/playlists
My mother always told me ... be wary of strange bearded men that drive red cars!! Good advice :-)
When faced with a plethora of youtube videos that all say MUM, what does my mother have to do with mikrotik I ask ;-), please have a look at the link below to give that quoted link some context.
In other words, in the below link you can find the provided content within those videos so you can decide if the topics are of interest to you (including some with pdfs). Also realize that many of these are not in English but many of the slides are in the UNIVERSAL cough cough language of mikrotik notation or winbox notation. In other words, get a little bit of experience before venturing out on you tube.
Also be cautious of any other videos on the net if OLD or not from reputable sources (there are some very excellent ones out there but some duds too). Basically stick to material that is of the era 2018- to now. Welcome to the fray, or in Apex lingo, get ready to launch your are the jumpmaster LOL.
https://mum.mikrotik.com/archive

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the world of MikroTik. Very little official documentation, lots of user input (with multiple solutions to 1 issue normally) and an extremely steep learning curve.

Use the default config to start with, adapt it to get you "online" and then study it from there to understand what each function is doing. Before you know it you'll be a whizz.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the world of MikroTik. Very little official documentation, lots of user input (with multiple solutions to 1 issue normally) and an extremely steep learning curve.

Use the default config to start with, adapt it to get you "online" and then study it from there to understand what each function is doing. Before you know it you'll be a whizz.
Hahaha what Steve means is that you will find yourself in the oddest places thinking about your MT setup, like standing in front of the loo taking a whizz ;-PP
(or sitting on the loo taking a whizz for the better gender or the other gender well trained)

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi Colin,

Hahaha what Steve means is that you will find yourself in the oddest places thinking about your MT setup, like standing in front of the loo taking a whizz ;-PP
(or sitting on the loo taking a whizz for the better gender or the other gender well trained)
Sometimes I sit down for a treat.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 pm

... an extremely steep learning curve.
But I wouldn't say it's the RouterOS itself, it's RouterOS + everything about networks. And it's mainly the second part that can be hard at first. Maybe it's just me, but having already some knowledge about networks (but not really that much) when I discovered RouterOS, I found it to be rather intuitive.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:35 pm

I truly sob when I read posts by Sob. I think that the flexibity of this great OS is its greatest downfall for those not IT trained. Concur Sob, you are bang on.

tekram
just joined

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:00 am

Newbie here.

I don't find any lack of ROS documentation to be a problem and there are lots of examples on the internet that can get you started. I like particularly Murray Grant's excellent blog from Australia https://blog.ligos.net/2017-08-16/Mikro ... droid.html.

The problem I have with ROS is that when it documents something, there is no guarantee that it will work. For example, a particular LTE modem such as the Netgear Aircard 815S that is documented to work in the wiki turned out to probably not work very well, giving a 'Functionality: Minimum' when you tried to use it. And you will spend a couple days trouble shooting it and wondering if it is a newbie mistake or just something not supported.

csaunders72
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:19 pm

A somewhat belated thank you for the warm welcome and helpful replies.

I got my hAP lite working eventually. The quick start guide (and wiki?) appeared to be incorrect with respect to default IP addresses of the ports etc but a tutorial on youtube helped clear that all up.

When I have the time/cash to extend my MikroTik based network I know I'll get all the help I need from here.

Cheers :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Strange, maybe your device was preconfigured by somebody else? The default address/user/port doesn't change from device to device.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:32 am

@csaunders72
To get you startet, here are nearly 100 MikroTik videos all from same guy. Start with Video #1 and go from there :)
It will take you from a novice to a pro in no time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rodrick4u/videos