Community discussions

MikroTik App

rich
just joined
Topic Author

RB2011UAS-2HND-IN (router) + RB750GL (swtch + port mirror)

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 am

So I've finally joined the great world of RouterOS after a couple of years behind the pfsense.

Now I am more confused than ever.. As stated in the topic, I want my RB2011 to be the router and gateway for my internet connection while the RB750GL should be a pure switch with one port mirrored (this to save the router from heavy load).

Kind of like this:
Internet - > RB2011 -> -> RB750 -> LAN (and another one -> IDS)
I want two connectiosn to go from the RB2011 to the TB750, to increase the availability for the bandwidth and from the RB750 I want to mirror the ports coming from the RB2011 (so that I am able to sniff the traffic for the IDS).

The first problem I have is that I am not successfully able to transform my RB750 into just a switch, and the second problem will then be that I am unable to make the port mirroring for the RB750.
I don't even find where I would be able to do this.

Is there anyone out there who could help out, or at least just point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB2011UAS-2HND-IN (router) + RB750GL (swtch + port mirro

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:50 pm

On the RB750GL you want to removing any routing configuration, ensure that (say) ETheres 2- 5 are slaves of Ether 1 (in interfaces menu) and then for mirroring you will use the Switch menu - more details on switch possibilities here:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sw ... p_Features

rich
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB2011UAS-2HND-IN (router) + RB750GL (swtch + port mirro

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Sorry for the very long time before reply. I just haven't had time to work with the equipment.
removing all the routing worked good.

Now a question,

If I use ether1 (which doesn't seem possible, I have probably missed something in the config and will check on it later) as incoming port from the router and ether2 as the outgoing port to the LAN and ether3 as the mirrored port to the IDS.

Should I then have ether 2-5 as slave of ether 1 still? or should I have ether 3-5 slave of ether 2?

Thanks in advance.