Community discussions

MikroTik App

Rattlehead
just joined
Topic Author

IGMP Proxy Filtering

Mon May 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Hi guys,
Wondering if someone could give me a hand. I am using a 750G with IGMP Proxy for streaming of TV the problem I have is that off the 750G I have a server and 2 wireless APs so the setup is

750G -- Port1 (Server)
-- Port2 (Wireless N AP)
-- Port3 (Wireless G AP)

All connected clients including Server receive an IP address via DHCP server on Mikrotik and ports are in a Bridge

The issue I have is that when a client on the N AP or the Server requests a stream it broadcasts the streaming traffic across ALL the ports on the Mikrotik including the Wireless G. Which kills the AP and needs a reboot.

Is there anyway & hopefully with an example I can set this up that the traffic is only sent and received from the requested port.

NOTE: In IGMP Proxy I have the querier set as the Bridge interface, I cannot choose Port 1, Port 2 or Port 3 as if I do so the IGMP becomes inactive.

EDIT: I believe I'm looking and trying to get IGMP snooping working, but I am just not entirely sure how to best set this up here.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: IGMP Proxy Filtering

Mon May 17, 2010 3:58 pm

RouterOS does not have IGMP snooping as there are no clear information, so as result RouterOS sticks to bridge RFC and do as it said there - forward multicast packets to all ports in bridge/switch except to port packets where received.

If you want you can create tunnels and run multicast streams over tunnels. That way, your main traffic will still be going over usual transmission channels, but multicast over tunnels, just be vary, that if you receive multicast stream over port that is already in the bridge, packets will still be broadcasted over all bridge ports.

Also, using tunnels for multicast adds little overhead, as mutlicast packets are rarely at max standard MTU size of 1500Bytes

in my HD1080p test stream was with 1200byte packets. (VLC stream server)

Rattlehead
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2010 12:46 am

As a simple work around I have removed the wireless G AP from the bridge and given it a seperate DHCP Server and range also NOT including that port in the IGMP proxy querier.

Also to make sure, the AP is running dd wrt, so I have added some IP tables to it. Its not the perfect setup as I still experience some issues with the 750g vs a rb600 but the above certainly give u a viable alternative

Janisk is there any talk or mention of the igmp snooping to be implemented on Router/SwitchOS? A feature request?

Thanks again. For your help

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 19, 2010 7:49 am

No, IGMP snooping is not on current feature list and it won't be added to the list soon. So, the best chance to use multicast and not to bury your bridge/switch in packets is to make tunnels over bridge or go "routed" way with OSPF or RIP

iwikus

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Linux kernel 2.6.34 ( http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_34) has new feature
* bridge: add core IGMP snooping support

Now I hope IGMP Snooping will be implemented soon in Mikrotik.

iwikus

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:46 am

It just took 6 years :)

What's new in 6.40rc38 (2017-Jul-11 12:28):
!) bridge - implemented software based "igmp-snooping" (untested, undocumented, CLI only);
!) bridge - implemented software based MSTP (untested, undocumented, CLI only);
!) bridge - implemented software based vlan-aware bridges;

...and after this time I'm not using IPTV any more :) But nice to have this