MikroTik App

happydaddy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

ospf + nbma help

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:56 am

Hi

below is a portion of my network layout. I implemented ospf and had some problems with packet loss. all routers are linked together via ubiquity and rb750's. Found out it is recommended to use NBMA from wiki for wireless. My question is do i make ether 1 priority 0 and ether2 priority 1 on every router for the best redundancy.

Thanks

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: ospf + nbma help

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 pm

You can set priorities 2 and 1. If you set 0 then router will never be elected as DR or BDR.

happydaddy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks

Do i do it for all the interfaces on all the routers or only on MKT1 and MKT4 ?

rumiclord
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 am

If it is nbma then why does he need a dr and bdr? would a dr and dr-other not work for this with priority 1 on the interface closest to the internet feed, and 0 for the next router in line?

happydaddy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:14 pm

Just for feed back i made all my routers priority 1 only the ones which needed to become designated routers i made 2. eg if i needed to branch off from my main area. ospf working well in this manner redundancy works well.

Only one problem still, as soon as i maximize the throughput from one router to the other/accross the network from pc to pc(ftp) i loose all the pc's connected to the ether 3 sides(192.168.x.x) the links to the 10.0.x.x network still runs fine. For the time being i have set queues to prevent the users from maximizing the the potential throughput. Thought it was the NBMA but cant be. all routers are now linked in NBMA mode.

Any ideas

wifi442
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Just for feed back i made all my routers priority 1 only the ones which needed to become designated routers i made 2. eg if i needed to branch off from my main area. ospf working well in this manner redundancy works well.

Only one problem still, as soon as i maximize the throughput from one router to the other/accross the network from pc to pc(ftp) i loose all the pc's connected to the ether 3 sides(192.168.x.x) the links to the 10.0.x.x network still runs fine. For the time being i have set queues to prevent the users from maximizing the the potential throughput. Thought it was the NBMA but cant be. all routers are now linked in NBMA mode.

Any ideas
So are the priorities set up like this? How do you have them set up at the edge router? Both links are set at pri 2 or 1?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

happydaddy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:11 pm

All my routers in this example are setup as priority 1.

Its only if i had 1 AP with lets say 2 clients that i would use the AP as priority 2 and the stations as priority 1. i think in that case the higher the priority becomes the designated router and the other 2 becomes dr other.

Not sure if this is the correct way but that is how i understand it and have implemented it. All works fine only problem is like i mentioned above the moment i max out my link between two routers it tends to drop the pc's hanging off the routers.