Community discussions

MikroTik App

arthurmitch
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

bonding

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 pm

ok here is a delemma how do i bond two adsl routers 4mbps/512kbps + 4mbps/512kbps to=8mbps/1024kbps ? aney idea? i know mikrotik can do that keep in mind that i need port fowading to work aswell! for some apps and games i got running!

AlexN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: bonding

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:49 am

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49862
Use your bonding interface as your wan in firewall rules.

arthurmitch
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:11 pm

ok the two routers i have comes from two different isp's will that have any affect?

AlexN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:53 pm

In this case I think it's won't work. Maybe you should try equal cost multipath or something.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP ... .29_routes

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 pm

The only solution to have a true level2 bonding with two different ISP is to setup Ethernet tunnels to an Internet based server, and bond those two tunnels together at each side.

Then, you can masquerade your network from this Internet server. You'll need to send and receive Internet trafic from this server, perhaps you'll need to pay for its transit.

Not very easy to do, and bonding has not been designed for Internet use. So in the end you will get out of order packets, causing TCP slowdowns.

Linux bonding code is not very efficient, and a bit outdated, like the bridging code. More, bonding is not something largely tested by users.

It's better to have an ISP supporting Multi Link PPP (MLPPP) or ATM inverse multiplexing (IMA), so packet do arrive in the right order.

Last, optical fiber is the modern solution. xDSL and cable solutions are technologies of the past. They are still here only because big providers do want to keep their copper access networks.

it's time to ask fiber to your providers.