MikroTik App

tombee79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

MLPPP vs. TP-LINK 4 WAN load balancer

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:09 am

HI

I have a dilemma to see the differences ( adventages and disadventages ) between the load balancing of a 4 DSL lines with MLPPP (Mikrotik , ofSense ) and the standard load balancing TP- 4 WAN load balance router offer.

Are day do the same thing? I know MLPPP has to configured on both ends And all the DSL lines must be from the same ISP provider. And the bits are equaly send and receive thru those ex. 4 DSL line. Can i use MLPPP for mixture DSL and Cable . 2 Cable and 2 DSL connected to my Mikrotik 750G?

TP-Link i don't know how it works but i think is BETTER than Mikrotik, why? well, I can Use Cable from ISP "A", 2 DSL from ISP "B" 6Mb/0.8,, and another Cable 15Mb/1Mb from ISP "C".

I can have 4 Cable lines from the same ISP ex. 10mb/2m so it is 4x10MBdownLoad= 40Mb download with TP-link. Can i do this with Mikrotik?

My goal is to have mixture of STATIC and DHCP WAN links to my Gateway Router.( load balancer ). And all of them are used all the time, with fail over. Ooo 1 more think ,, i want user to use for his/her session one of them only, not split between ex. 4 WANS

Can Mikrotik do this?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MLPPP vs. TP-LINK 4 WAN load balancer

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:56 am

Have you read the wiki on PCC? It allows you to do connection oriented load balancing (if you use just src-address as a qualifier a user always uses the same WAN link) across arbitrary WAN links, with link failover (if a link fails all its traffic falls through to another link).

MLPPP is nicer because it makes best use of the available links, but it doesn't allow you to mix ISPs.

I've never used TP LINKs. At a quick glance it appears that they're easier to use but give you fewer options. Depending on what you want out of it that might work better for you.